Muddiest mix in history! help!

ljnus

Hi,
I have been working with ableton day and night for around 1 year and I always had problems with boomy and muddy sound in my mixes when using "real instruments"

Im recording a song with, electric, acoustic guitar and vocals. And I have problem with all of them. other instruments are Midi and they sound great.
Recording equipment i'v tried to record with:
Mic, Rode NT1-A. 250$
(sounds crap, vocals and guitar is boomy)

Mic, Line audio CM4: 150$ (guitar sounds crap) boomy

Mic, Another condensator mic (dont remember the brand) 100$ more or less worthless, take up to much noise.

Interface: M-Audio 192 14: 350$
After tried one million times recording acoustic guitar with mic, I,ve tried to record direct to the M-audio. Still boomy that wont help to EQ without making it to thin
I EQ with fabfilter and Izotope.

All I tried results are crap. I dont know what the issue is, I even build a recording cage with insulation and it still to boomy. I tried in all rooms at home with this cage and still same result.
I have a microphone absorber when recording vocals.

In low volume it sounds ok, but if I turn up the volume vocals is to high pitch and boomy, ringing sound from a lot frequencies.
Guitar is just boomy.

When using EQ to remove all this crap freq it makes the song to thin, low bass, high mid and dead treble due to I have to cut the noise.

Im very picky and want everything to sound great in for example carspeakers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,
I have been working with ableton day and night for around 1 year and I always had problems with boomy and muddy sound in my mixes when using "real instruments"

Im recording a song with, electric, acoustic guitar and vocals. And I have problem with all of them. other instruments are Midi and they sound great.
Recording equipment i'v tried to record with:
Mic, Rode NT1-A. 250$
(sounds crap, vocals and guitar is boomy)
Never liked that NT-1A.
Mic, Line audio CM4: 150$ (guitar sounds crap) boomy

Mic, Another condensator mic (dont remember the brand) 100$ more or less worthless, take up to much noise.

Interface: M-Audio 192 14: 350$
After tried one million times
really a million times..awesome.
fabfilter and Izotope.
Those are the tools.
All I tried results are crap. I dont know what the issue is,
Lets hear it. Show me what you got. Im still learning it too.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Not without hearing anything.

Makes some 30 second sound test clips.

Soundcloud is free. My recordings with microphones are boomy also. This about where I'm at..

Is your listening room acoustically treated? A 'problem no matter what mic you try' may be your tracking room or listening space. What monitors are you using? Does it sound the same with headphones?
Post some clips so others can hear your mixes.

If you haven't already, see if Ableton's EQ has a preset for acoustic guitar - check your other EQs also. Might be your settings are similar, but not exactly the same. I always overshoot the boosts and cuts a bit when I EQ by ear, then I click in a preset and it just seems to smooth it out and gets right to the point.

When using EQ to remove all this crap freq it makes the song to thin, low bass, high mid and dead treble due to I have to cut the noise.
Which Fabfilter are you using? Pro Q3? If so, is 'detect collisions' enabled in the visualizations? Is the 'red haze' the crap? and you are using the EQ to remove it?

I bought two NT1As. I thought they were quite good. Also have a Rode K2 valve mic.
They all imress me, and I don't get mud.
Angle and distance are important factors, plus nearby reflective surfaces.
I'm no expert, but learning as I go.

Back