Mr8 + MTC sync problem.. plz help me

Kaymir

Hi..

when i sync my sequencer (hardware, MPC2000XL) and the Fostex MR8 and do what the manual says and hit the record+play button my sequencer don't starts at bar 1 but lets say @ bar 20 (or 33, sometimes 45 and stuff)

when I use Midi clock it works perfeclty? wtf..!

I thought MTC was a better protcol then Midi clock

plz help? what am i doing wrong? and is this normal?

SMPTE/MIDI Time Code Sync (SMPTE/MTC) is another method of synchronization that lets some device master or slave to external devices.

SMPTE/MTC is a position and timing reference that indicates the current location in the song and how quickly the song should be playing. Time code labels the position in a song in hours, minutes, seconds, and frames. The speed of playback is indicated by a frame rate.

Time code is recorded onto tape using a device called a time code generator. The process of recording a time code signal onto a track is called striping. Normally, the start of a tape stripe has a particular time, expressed in hours, minutes, seconds, and frames. For example, the tape stripe might start at 00:00:00:00, 01:00:00:00, or any other time. The material recorded on the tape usually starts anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes after the start of the time code. Sometimes, the tape stripe starts at a time like 00:59:50:00, and the material starts 10 seconds later, at 01:00:00:00.

Most sequencer is configured by default so that the beginning of bar 1 is synchronized with a time code of 00:00:00:00. If the starting point of the material on your sequencer is not 0, you need to enter an offset to tell the slave the time code that corresponds to the start of the song.

:)
Jaymz

okay thnx for the reply..I have a offset of -2 bars

but when I use MTC on like sequence 1 of my MPC it works

when i convert sequennce 1 to 5 to a song (also .mid) and then rewind it, and hit the play+record button it start around 22 bars on the sequencer!

weird rite! ??

most of the time my beats got a steady tempo (bpm's that is)

And since the midi clock is working perfect i can do that. (for a simple tempo map and stuff)

but is midi clock for my needs a lesser protocol?

MTC/SMPTE only give time info. They don't transmit tempo, song position or start/stop.

Midi Sync or Midi Clock includes MTC and all the other details that a sequencer needs to sync up. It is a much more detailed sync signal.

When one of the units in a chain is a 'dumb' device that simply records or plays back like an ADAT or VHS deck you can usually get away with just MTC or SMPTE. But if you are using a 'semi smart' device like a drum machine or arpegiator that needs to be told when to start and what tempo then you need Midi Sync.

If you are syncing up two 'smart' devices that can look at the time code and know on their own when to start and at what tempo like a hardware sequencer and a DAW then you can go back to using SMPTE or MTC.

thnx guys!!

If I dont get the MTC to work proper ill stick with midi Clock it works perfect! still I find it weird that it dont work

on lose sequences it works.. on sequences combined (convrted to a song .mid) it dont!

Back