Moving

McParadigm

Changed: Moving

(see below)

For the record, what we have:

4 8-foot tall bass traps (the room is 8 feet as well)
Behringer XENYX 1202 Mixer
Behringer T1952 Tube Composer
ART MPA Gold Microphone Preamplifier
2 Shure SM57s
2 AT2020s
1 Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum and Bass Mic
1 Neumann M147
2 KRK RP8 Rokit 8 in. active monitors

I have no acoustic foam or material of any kind beyond the traps, so I'm assuming that that's where I need to go, but I didn't want to do that without checking with people who know more than I do.

Last edited:
Alright, so since last night I read more and am definately getting the studio foam. Probably a 24 pack of Auralex. So the questions that still stand are:

1. As there's no door in this room and my family is directly upstairs, is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of noise they have to suffer through?

2. There's a large window (3x3) near the corner opposite the door. Is there something in particular I should/could do about that, in terms of treating the room or reducing noise coming in from outside?

I'm really not going away on this one.

I'm having a hard time deciding, as I look and look, what the best way to spend the $400 is to treat this room. I was looking at Auralex Studiofoam Designer Kit, then at Gik, then at other stuff.

As I said, I already have bass traps that I built from Ethan Winer's site. I"m just looking at the mids and highs.

Last edited:
zed32 said:
definitely go with GIK over Auralex for broadband absorbtion.

Alright. My only worry there was that I won't be able to get nearly as much coverage with the light funds I have. Also, I'm having a helluva time figuring out which Gik panel to get.

For the record, this is what the whole thing looks like...the black spots on the walls were where I thought I might put the Auralex foam up originally (the drums would be near the bottom of the screen). Bass traps are already shown in corners, although I drew them too narrow.

room.jpg

I should also note that I technically have 3 other bass traps, I just wasn't sure how to place or use them in such small conditions.

check out www.ATSacoustics.com

i got my panels from them, they are decent and pretty cheap too. for the price, you may get less coverage area than with the foam, but it's going to give you MUCH better absorption of the mids. the foam sucks compared to rigid fiberglass.

is there a reason for not having your desk centered on the wall?

Back