More unfinished post-rock crap

xtjdx

Well, I got my drums back and got my Gibson all fixed up so that means more writing!
http://www.myspace.com/1000talons
It's not finished in terms of instrumentals, but in terms of structure it is complete (finally). Don't mind the end section. I am awful at double bass and drums in general. This is basically to sketch out how I want the song to sound.
Input on the song itself and maybe the mix would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tim

Fucking PHENOMENAL.

I gotta be honest...When I was first hearing the intro riff, I was thinking "hey, I bet this is gonna suck." Funny thing is, there was really nothing wrong with that riff at all, and I have no idea exactly why I thought that. And then, blammo...you bust into something that I think The Mars Volta would be proud of (except yours had better singing! :D )

Really, I'm speechless. This was FAR beyond good.

Purge said:
Fucking PHENOMENAL.

I gotta be honest...When I was first hearing the intro riff, I was thinking "hey, I bet this is gonna suck." Funny thing is, there was really nothing wrong with that riff at all, and I have no idea exactly why I thought that. And then, blammo...you bust into something that I think The Mars Volta would be proud of (except yours had better singing! :D )

Really, I'm speechless. This was FAR beyond good.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Exactly...... amazing talent here..... wow is all I have to say

very experimental, definitely musicians music... (the vocal comment was a joke? heh... what vocals?!)

Oh wow guys. Thank you so very much. I was expecting maybe a little positive feedback after about a week, but not this much this quick. I am astounded and this has made my morning. Thank you thank you thank you.

Has a very cool, lost out there somwhere feel to it. Moves around quite a bit, yet very melodic at times. Nice.
Ed

That's exactly the feel I was going for. Then I asked my friend Drew to make a sample for it and he made it without listening to the song, and somehow it worked perfectly with it (if you can't make out the talking, it's "we're reaching a high velocity, forty two thousand meters per second. We can't handle this anymore. We're all gonna die... we're all gonna die." and "we've crash landed 400 miles east of the original landing location. This is a lost cause."). It seems kind of silly at first but somehow it really does work with it. Thanks for listening!

grn said:
(the vocal comment was a joke? heh... what vocals?!)
Yeah, I was just referring to how a lot of bands suffer from the "progressive curse"--ridiculously good musicianship where the singing is definitely an acquired taste...think Geddy Lee, Jon Anderson, James LaBrie, and The Mars Volta guy. I like all those singers, but it takes some getting used to.

I couldn't wait to get back home and listen to this again. I want more!

!!!! Unfortunately I have to break down my kit for band practice, so I won't be able to finish this until tonight. I wrote another song in class today, and it is going to be a lot better than this one. You will like it, promise!

Hot damn, man!! That was a journey worthy of Joseph Campbell!

I couldn't wait to hear where it was going to take me next - great stuff!

Well geez I guess I'm the odd man out here. I thought it was ok, but nothing terribly special. It reminded me a whole lot of bands like Hum and that sort of thing--not very original in my opinion. The recording sounded nice and all, but ... I thought the writing was a little stale. This is just my opinion. Obviously, you're doing something right to get so much good feedback. That's just my two cents.

!!! I want all feedback on this, even if it's negative (hell, especially if it's negative). This is basically my first venture into the world of spacey rock, so my writing hasn't matured much. I'm not trying to do anything innovative with this music. Its purpose is to just be honest (well, as honest as an instrumental can get I guess...). That's the great thing about instrumental music. It can have so much meaning to one person and tell everything they want it to, and have a totally different meaning (or, in a lot of cases, no meaning at all) to other people. Er, I guess this has slipped into the rambling zone. Basically, thank you for the honest input. You don't know how much I appreciate it. All it can do is help my writing, and that's really the best thing that could happen right now. Thanks again.

Tim

Update : Just uploaded the new version with a new ending that fits a whole lot better. I'll be redoing some of the guitar and that will be the only change now, so this is pretty much the final version.

I'll pop it onto lightningmp3.com right now.
Uploaded!

Weeee.
Thanks again to NL5 for being AWESOME.

Back