More clarity in orchestral peice

nmarnson

Hello, this was the best forum that i think fits my question.

So basically I'm in the later stages of an orchestral track, however im not satisfied with the mix. In the high part, where it gets all epic and uplifting, nothing is really sticking out, and clear. The main parts are french horns and choir playing the main melody, and around them are backing strings, staccato strings, and percussion, big drums. I would really like to have the choirs and french horns be sharp and clear, but at the moment, they are just kindof stuck in with everything else. I feel like eq is the solution, and im just wondering of any tips.

I'm actually gonna post a link to just the high part i have in question, if that helps

UPDATE sorry, i hope this link works https://soundcloud.com/natanelarnson/adventurehigh-part/s-yrvCY

I'm trying to get more of a clear sound in the lead choirs, more like you can hear on this track for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlu-LkI3ZY

Thanks

Last edited:
The elipse (...) in the middle means part of the link was cut to fit beginning and end on a specific width (truncated)

Without listening to the "Truncated" "No Worky" problem, I would suggest that the usual reason that a mix sounds congested, which is what I think you are trying to say, is that there is a problem in the mid range frequencies.

The problem could be in the individual tracks or a combination of the tracks overloading the mids. Often when you solo tracks and eq the track (instrument(s))for a good sound the track does not sound as good in the mix. Try EQing the tracks while the mix is playing and see if it cleans up. The surprising part is that when you play the individual track back after doing this it often sounds thin on its own, but its the sum of the parts that matter.

Alan.

Sometimes it can be a case of looking at things to pull back in a crescendo. As counter intuitive as that might seem. Not everything may 'scale up (or want to) in the same way.
When I think of some 'epic mixes, there seems to be actually a lot of control - restraint- evolved, prior and during -if that makes any sense :) Some portions of 'power' can be suggested.

Back