Monitors

Ridickolas

OK, gonna get some real monitors now, BUT which monitors of the Yamaha HS50Ms or KRK Rokit RP5s? I don't about anything except which is more neutral and realistic.

OK, gonna get some real monitors now, BUT which monitors of the Yamaha HS50Ms or KRK Rokit RP5s? I don't about anything except which is more neutral and realistic.
You'd be better off with something with a bigger woofer. 6" is minimum recommended.

thanks some good choices. probably going to go with the alese mkIIs.
Yeah, they are good. Some people say the have too much bass. The do seem a little bass heavy, but i put that down to my room more than anything, because the freq response shows they aren't overly.

thanks some good choices. probably going to go with the alese mkIIs.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The Alesis minitors are seriously hiped in the bottom end and are cheesy in the highs as well. Motiors are a great place to spend your budget. If you can't afford good moitors, wait; save and buy good ones.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The Alesis minitors are seriously hiped in the bottom end and are cheesy in the highs as well. Motiors are a great place to spend your budget. If you can't afford good moitors, wait; save and buy good ones.
I wouldn't say they are seriously hyped in the bottom end. They are a bit, and what do you mean cheesy in the highs? It is flat within ±2dB from 50Hz-20kHz, then drops to -10db at 40Hz, so i don't think it's seriously hyped. It may appear to be 'cause the drastic drop below 50Hz though, or it may be that most monitors tail off above this frequency, so because these are still flat to 50Hz it seems hyped.

I'd recommend check out reviews before you buy though. This is a soundonsound review of the Alesis'.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say they are seriously hyped in the bottom end. They are a bit, and what do you mean cheesy in the highs? It is flat within ±2dB from 50Hz-20kHz, then drops to -10db at 40Hz, so i don't think it's seriously hyped. It may appear to be 'cause the drastic drop below 50Hz though, or it may be that most monitors tail off above this frequency, so because these are still flat to 50Hz it seems hyped.

I'd recommend check out reviews before you buy though. This is a soundonsound review of the Alesis'.

The specs can say anything; they are hyped in the bottom and are crappy on the top. Why waste the money; save a bit more and get something that will provide a clearer image of your mix. For about another $100 bucks you could at least get a set of these http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--WHADP82A and be all the better for it.

The specs can say anything; they are hyped in the bottom and are crappy on the top. Why waste the money; save a bit more and get something that will provide a clearer image of your mix. For about another $100 bucks you could at least get a set of these http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--WHADP82A and be all the better for it.
How much acoustic treatment do you have(and what is it)? And i actually agree with your suggestion. Wharfedales will be better than Alesis.

yeah i spoke to someone who really knows his stuff, and he said actually something like the yamahas or krks will be good because my kinda shit room will make up for the bass lol.

yeah i spoke to someone who really knows his stuff, and he said actually something like the yamahas or krks will be good because my kinda shit room will make up for the bass lol.
That's not true. Because with bass there can be peaks AND nulls. So without treatment, it could actually make the bass even quieter. You need good monitors, the wharfedales are a great suggestion, and a good room(check out the building and display forum for how to make your room better).

alright then, but i can get the diamond 8.0s, Yamaha 50s, n KRK rp5 for the same price, whats more neutral n accurate.
I'd say, go with the Wharfedale DP8.2A Diamonds, although, reading this review is making me doubtful: "Beware of these things–I've wasted a lot of time trying to get a pair that don't exhibit a nasty harmonic right at middle C. I'm just about to send back my 3rd pair... they generally sound good when a whole mix is playing through them, but as a single instrument is played through them right around middle C they make an awful buzzing.". I'd say wharfedale are a more respected brand though, and these have 6 1/2" woofers compared to 5"...

Yo Ridicule Man:

1. Find a RICH ugly woman.

2. Treat her nice.

3. Get her to finance your studio. Promise her she can sing the vocal solos.

4. Buy a pair of Adam 7A monitors. They are dyn-o-mite.

5. [Keep a good-looking girl on the side who is also rich.]

Green Hornet

They are, but at almost $600 for an active pair with 5" woofers, i think he'd be better of with something with bigger woofers within his budget.

I paid €300 new for a pair of tannoy reveal 6As (active nearfield with 6" woofs)

Back