Monitors......

I need a new set of monitors but i'm limited by two major things Budget and Quality (same as everyone elce). At the moment im looking at the 20/20bas and the Spirit apsolute 4p.
I got worried when i first saw Dragons msg's saying studio monitors wernt supposed to sound good. When i go looking for monitors i look for somthing i like the sound of. Are studio monitors supposed to sound bad or is that just on unmixed peices?

Also does anyone know the price of the Apsolute 4p in AUS$?

If anyone can enlighten me/give me suggestions/ solve my queries pleez write back?

Thanx,

My two cents..
KRK RP8/RP8G2 Rokit Powered, Behringer B2031a, Wharfedale DP8.2 in that order are really good for the price range ($275 - $500)

But some really good advice was given in this post and I hope the post starter and anyone else reading take the advice in it. I wish things like this were around when I first started.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect monitor, especially so UNDER $1000! Even above that price range there are flaws. The most important thing is to pick something you are comfortable with and learn how it translates to many different speakers. I would stick my neck out and suggest you set up several CD playing stations around your house and listen. Try it in the DVD player, the living room stereo, the little player in the kitchen, the car..everywhere you can. Take for instance, your monitors may have a so called "flat response" but really that flat response is more of a low range cut and a high range boost. When you play it at another studio, your mix sounds bass shy and the high end is shrilly on the point of screaming. Conversely, the dude at the other studio's mix will be the opposite of yours. The difference is knowing your setup's capabilities and how to compensate for its short comings.

Another thing I haven't really seen focused in this post (in my opinion solely) is the importance of good room acoustics. I don't care if Jesus came back and gave you hand built monitors based off of the laws of creation..If your room is sh%$ty, your mix will never translate well. You definitely need some level of absorption and bass trapping in a room and a proper set up of equipment spatially. The pro stuff can get expensive, but I've seen very good improv's that can give you pretty decent results. You may not sound like a professional studio, but you can get damn close.

The best advice was already stated, walk with CDs you know inside out, and listen to the monitors. Pick the one's that most suit your taste, and spend thousands of hours learning them inside out. Some of the best recorded music was done on the most limited equipment!

i have alesis monitors and i hate them with a passion. stay away, they hurt my ears.

i know it doesnt help you with what to buy, but now you know what not to buy!

Get a used pair of KRK V6 series 2's. Can be had for $300-$400.....very revealing
great sounding monitors !!

David B

Considering the AUS$ has dropped 30% (figure this - the Aussie economy is strong, we don't have a sub prime problem or the peronal debt depth but OUR dollar goes down against the almost rancid US$ because of speculation) in three weeks I wonder how much $300-$400 got me a month ago.
There ya go, thoroughly comtemporized (made that one up eh!) 9 year old thread.

Back