monitors on wall?

mk_re

hey guys.. just wondering - what type of speakers would these be, the large ones that are mounted on the wall behind the monitors?

hanszimmer.jpg

RecordingStudio.jpg

snap1.jpg

The HZ speakers are most likely Quested HM's. Around $75,000 each.

Can't see any detail in the other two. I see some Tannoy Eclipses on the rail in the bottom photo...

Another question about the picture I've always had. Why does practically every studio I've seen have those monitors that lay on their side? What are they? and what is their application?

If you are talking about the ones with the white woofer cone, they are Yamaha NS-10's. They are the 'real world crap speaker' reference.

They are a tool...if you can make mixes sound good on NS10s...they will sound good on just about anything...some people here dont have the skill it takes to use them.:rolleyes:

They are a tool...if you can make mixes sound good on NS10s...they will sound good on just about anything...some people here dont have the skill it takes to use them.:rolleyes:
I had a set for about a decade. I could mix on them just fine, I just didn't like it. You have to mix at a low level to keep your ears from burning out and to keep the response somewhat usefull.

Unfortunately, you have just been horribly misinformed as to their purpose and history. The original versions weren't even marketed as studio monitors, they were bookshelf speakers. It wasn't until someone famous decided to replace their auratones with these things (and everyone copied him) that Yamaha started marketing them as 'studio monitors'.

It doesn't take any more skill to mix on NS-10's, and you aren't any more of a man for forcing yourself to use them.

I had a set for about a decade. I could mix on them just fine, I just didn't like it. You have to mix at a low level to keep your ears from burning out and to keep the response somewhat usefull.

Unfortunately, you have just been horribly misinformed as to their purpose and history. The original versions weren't even marketed as studio monitors, they were bookshelf speakers. It wasn't until someone famous decided to replace their auratones with these things (and everyone copied him) that Yamaha started marketing them as 'studio monitors'.

It doesn't take any more skill to mix on NS-10's, and you aren't any more of a man for forcing yourself to use them.

And yet Ive been in many studios where they are the only set...

If musical program is intended to be listened exclusively on NS10s, in the room on which the program was created and mixed then it, NS10, could certainly be in contention as choice on which to mix.

If the performance (music) is designed for wider distribution then there is no objective support for the idea that the NS10 is sufficient, or even necessary.

In the late 80's there was a positive correlation between the density of NS10s, used by the competition, and my revenue. Generally speaking I was quite happy during the period in which they were the fashionable monitor de juer.

I've never been in a studio that only had NS10's. Perhaps some home studios limit themselves to one set of speakers.....but a legit studio?????

I've used NS10's often and have owned a set of Auratones for many years. As has been pointed out, the use of bookshelf speakers started when studios wanted a small, cheap set of reference speakers - since in those days, most records were listened to through relatively crappy radios, console "steroe systems" or car radios. I don't think it's that much harder to get a good mix with NS10 than with any other studio reference speakers - a good mix, is a good mix.

While I like to have various refences speakers (including something crappy like NS10's).................the important thing is to really understand how your mixes relate to other playback systems. As long as you can trust your speakers and your ears, the model number is not that critical.

Regarding the "Big Speakers" - I've always thought those were mainly to impress clients......ie: blast thier recording back at them through big speakers that can make almost any mix sound good:D

I've only been in a couple of "real" studios and neither one of them had NS10's. I would think that any ol' bookshelf speaker would do about the same. You're just lookin for reference, right? Would, say...just a boombox set up do about the same thing?
curious is all...

Theres nothing cheap about the NS10s...just a replacement driver costs more than some sets of amplified monitors.:rolleyes:...most bids for sets on the bay start at $600 and they sell them too.

Regarding the "Big Speakers" - I've always thought those were mainly to impress clients......ie: blast thier recording back at them through big speakers that can make almost any mix sound good:D

Yes they are...most studios use B&Ws for that...I used Lineums and Martin Logans in the pool table area for client listening.

NS10s register flat across the frequency spectrum...if you have a modulator and a level meter...you can see that.

Yes they are...most studios use B&Ws for that...
Really? I've only been to one studio, that wasn't a mastering house, that had B&W's for mains. Most of the ones I've been to are using Ausbergers, Meyers or Questeds. Back in the day, everyone had Urei's.

NS10s register flat across the frequency spectrum...if you have a modulator and a level meter...you can see that.
Look at the last post, it is a frequency plot of an NS-10. https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=285391&page=2

If that were true, you would see studios filled with high powered Bose systems. They certainly wouldn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on purpose built speakers just to blow someone's hair back. You could do that with just about anything.

Back