Monitor buzz troubleshooting

Hello! I'm having an obnoxious problem with my monitors... just it isn't the monitors.

My left speaker buzzes. The right one buzzes too, just maybe a third as loud. Sounds like a ground-issue-style buzz. When I unplug them from my board, the buzz stops. When I plug it into the Alt Speaker left output, it makes the same buzz. However! When I swap which speaker is plugged into the left and right, the buzz follows to the other side- the right one will buzz loudly and the left one will buzz more quietly.

What the hell? I'm using a Toft ATB16 and Dynaudio BM5a mkII's if that helps any. The cables running from the board to the monitors are balanced; TRS at the board and XLR at the monitors. The monitor level knob on my board has no effect on the volume of the buzz whatsoever. Doesn't matter if i'm listening to channels 1-16, the 2 track return, whatever... As long as they're plugged into the board, they buzz. It isn't the cable, since I don't unplug the cables from the monitors when i'm swapping L/R, just at the board. The loud/quiet of the buzz seems to stem from which side it's plugged into.

I'm assuming that there's something else plugged into my system that isn't grounded correctly, or something like that. Even then, I don't understand why one side is louder than the other. Can anyone help troubleshoot this, or are there way too many variables to do over the internet?

If the buzz goes from one speaker to the other when you swap the cables at the mixer it could be the cable.

I'd try another pair of cables before trying anything else.

If changing the cables does not help, try lifting the shield at the speaker end of the cable (has to be a 2 core and shield balanced cable), there could be a ground loop of some kind.

You could also try swapping power points or running all the power for the console and speakers from the same point.

Alan.

Back