mixing on headphones

SAMTheGreat

what pair of head phones do you guys recommend to mix on? ,

i will not have monitors for a while but label work needs to be done

wrapping up two ep's soon and want to be able to keep working

for the $$$............ you can probably buy some Craigslist monitors RP5 or something, and some used headphones/earbuds.

whats the budget? $100 $500?

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro sound very nice and neutral and, on my ears, are comfortable of hours at a time.

If they fit your ears, the Sennheiser HD 25 II Pro are also great sounding--but too small for many people.

The posts above are right thought--you can probably get second hand monitors for the same price as decent headphones.

...and, if you DO still go with headphones, allow a bunch of time to learn the sound. Do a trial mix then listen to that mix on everything from your iPod to a car stereo to a decent hifi unit. It'll sound different on these compared to your headphones so decide what you need to change to make things sound right in the "real world". Repeat until you're happy that you know how things have to sound in your headphones to sound "right" elsewhere.

You have to do the same with a new set of monitors of course...but the differences should be a lot less with speakers than with headphones.

Yeah sure. :laughings:

don't do it.

Here is what the big guys use for label work.

LOL!

Seriously? Label work? EPs? If you were far enough into this business to be doing real label work (or even to be doing justice to your clients' work) you'd know that you don't mix on headphones. You can track with headphones. You can even edit with headphones. And yes, you can listen with headphones. But you don't mix with headphones.

Seriously? Label work? EPs? If you were far enough into this business to be doing real label work (or even to be doing justice to your clients' work) you'd know that you don't mix on headphones. You can track with headphones. You can even edit with headphones. And yes, you can listen with headphones. But you don't mix with headphones.

The kid's like 17 years old thinking he can bullshit his way into impressing people. He's a total amateur, and I mean no malice in saying that, mosr of us are. At a certain age, you realize that you're not fooling anyone with your bullshit. Plus, it's rap. Even the older rappers are all about "me me me, look at me" and often use bullshit to try and make themselves look important. Just part of the "culture".

The kid's like 17 years old thinking he can bullshit his way into impressing people. He's a total amateur, and I mean no malice in saying that, mosr of us are. At a certain age, you realize that you're not fooling anyone with your bullshit. Plus, it's rap. Even the older rappers are all about "me me me, look at me" and often use bullshit to try and make themselves look important. Just part of the "culture".

Sad, but true...

I don't mean to pick on someone less than half my age. I don't know the guy. My comments were more general than anything, other than the "let's not bullshit each other here" part. :)

Yep. "Let's not bullshit each other here." That's the important part. This is an open forum--and hopefully the truth floats to the top. While many rules were meant to be broken, other rules are there for a reason. They're tried and true. I wasted many months mixing on headphones. This is not a creative issue (where rules are meant to be broken) but a technical issue (where rules exist for a reason). Headphones exaggerate the stereo spread, emphasize frequencies "dishonestly" and as such, don't tell the truth about what your mix sounds like. Get a decent room, and get some decent speakers.

Trust me, as "orthodox" as that sounds, you'll save yourself tons of money and a couple years worth of learning. (I know--I wasted years and plenty of $$ before I learned this lesson.)

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro sound very nice and neutral and, on my ears, are comfortable of hours at a time.

If they fit your ears, the Sennheiser HD 25 II Pro are also great sounding--but too small for many people.

The posts above are right thought--you can probably get second hand monitors for the same price as decent headphones.

...and, if you DO still go with headphones, allow a bunch of time to learn the sound. Do a trial mix then listen to that mix on everything from your iPod to a car stereo to a decent hifi unit. It'll sound different on these compared to your headphones so decide what you need to change to make things sound right in the "real world". Repeat until you're happy that you know how things have to sound in your headphones to sound "right" elsewhere.

You have to do the same with a new set of monitors of course...but the differences should be a lot less with speakers than with headphones.

+1 on the HD 25 II I find them more accurate than even the DT770's when it comes to the low end.

+1 on the HD 25 II I find them more accurate than even the DT770's when it comes to the low end.

Yep. "Let's not bullshit each other here." That's the important part. This is an open forum--and hopefully the truth floats to the top. While many rules were meant to be broken, other rules are there for a reason. They're tried and true. I wasted many months mixing on headphones. This is not a creative issue (where rules are meant to be broken) but a technical issue (where rules exist for a reason). Headphones exaggerate the stereo spread, emphasize frequencies "dishonestly" and as such, don't tell the truth about what your mix sounds like. Get a decent room, and get some decent speakers.

Trust me, as "orthodox" as that sounds, you'll save yourself tons of money and a couple years worth of learning. (I know--I wasted years and plenty of $$ before I learned this lesson.)

Sad, but true...

whats the bull here bro ? like no joke im working with my team on two eps . im apart of an indie label , and i do mixes for us ... i come to ask older more experianced mix engineer on some headphone suggestions and im giving people bs ? ima student right now , but that doesnt mean i have to sound less serious about what im doin , like dam .. ive only being mixing about a year and a half seriously.. but ive been producer since twelve , and get asked for beats all the time .

is this an age thing or ?

Back