Mixing down from Ableton to Reel to Reel

rgn321

Greetings:

I am a going to be purchasing a reel to reel in the next few weeks. I have a M-Audio Firewire 1814 soundcard with an Alesis Adat and Windows 7 PC running Ableton Live. I am very interested in using 1/4" analog(r2r) to do my mix downs on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? As far as how to connect it, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You take the left and right line outs from the M-audio, and plug it into the Left and right line inputs of the reel to reel. Thats all I can say without more information on what you are actually trying to get from doing this.

Alan.

Greetings:

I am a going to be purchasing a reel to reel in the next few weeks. I have a M-Audio Firewire 1814 soundcard with an Alesis Adat and Windows 7 PC running Ableton Live. I am very interested in using 1/4" analog(r2r) to do my mix downs on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? As far as how to connect it, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you just want to mix down to two tape tracks or 4 or more?

If just two and you are in EU you could look for a Revox B77. If in the states or almost anywhere else, a Japanese machine would probably be best . I can recommend the Tascam A-3440 for a 4 tracker.....But!
Before you embark upon this escapade, think on.

Tape machines are like classic cars. You need to know what to look for when you buy and if you are clueless and electronically challenged only buy from a dealer who can maintain the machine (at ongoing cost!).

Dave.

It looks as though your interface has four line outs on the back and two inputs on the front that can accept line inputs.

Assuming a 2 track reel to reel (you did say mixdown, which is generally two track (stereo)), Using Ableton (of which I have zero experience)assign the stereo out to both pairs of line outputs. One for the monitors, the other go to the line inputs of the reel to reel. Then plug the reel to reels line outs to the two line inputs on the front of your interface. God willing and the creek don't rise, this will get you where you want to be.

Back