mixer question

vacant

i am just starting to record drums, and i was wondering if it would wrk to use a pa mixerfor the inputs and send that directly to my mbox(pro tools). the mbox only has 2 inputs so drums are out of the question. im not exactly sure what kind of mixer it is, becuase it is my friends. thanks

vacant said:
i am just starting to record drums, and i was wondering if it would wrk to use a pa mixerfor the inputs and send that directly to my mbox(pro tools). the mbox only has 2 inputs so drums are out of the question. im not exactly sure what kind of mixer it is, becuase it is my friends. thanks
Pa mixers are generally for live performance and will most likely not give you what you are looking for, which is a good drum sound. You can try it, but I don't think you are going to like the results.

Only use an additional piece of gear in front of your mbox if you are mixing multiple channels down to two tracks into Mbox. If you're not recording more than two tracks at a time, go straight into it.

Vacant,
The suggestions are already out there. The mixer will work. it's not going to sound great, but it will work. You could also use two mics to record your drums. Believe it or not, using two decent condensers, you can get good sound w/ correct mic placement. If you don't want to worry about that, or you have a drum mic kit, the mixer will work. You'll need either to mix your drums on the PA mixer, then use your two-track "stereo" outs on your PA to run into your Mbox, or use an auxiliary/sub-group to run to your Mbox.

Does this help?

yes that does help thanks for the input. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to ruin any equipment. thanks again

If you use a powered PA mixer, keep this in mind..

1) as has already been mentioned, use (line level), aux outputs or 2 track tape outputs, do NOT use the powered "speaker" outputs to send the signal into your recording inputs on the M-Box.

2) be careful not to fry the power amp or amps in the PA mixer, most any power amp will need a speaker hooked up to it when it's turned on and being given a signal to amplify, without the speaker, it's got no place to send all of the power.

Back