Mics on a Cab Speaker?

Lee123

I attached a picture that I found on Steve Vai's website. It's of a guitar cab being mic'ed with three microphones.
My question is, would there be a phase issue with this type of setup? Would phase have to be switch on any of the mics and if they are panned in any way, would this cause phase issues....?

Man, that's alot of phase questions...sorry about that...

Lee

Attachments

• legacy_LRG1.jpg
    legacy_LRG1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 66
Lee123 said:
I attached a picture that I found on Steve Vai's website. It's of a guitar cab being mic'ed with three microphones.
My question is, would there be a phase issue with this type of setup? Would phase have to be switch on any of the mics and if they are panned in any way, would this cause phase issues....?

They are roughly the same distance from the sound source, so there isn't a big timing difference. There will be a difference in tone due to position and type of mic. There might be a small phase difference, but that might be desirable, like a mild chorus effect.

There is also no guarantee they are using all three mics. Just use your ears, if it sounds good it is good. If it sounds bad, change something until it sounds good. Throw out one of the tracks, for example.

Switching polarity on one mic would change the combined sound, but it's impossible to say if it would be better or worse without listening. It would not magically fix an out-of-phase condition.

last weekend i tried to record a marshall amp trough the "recording output",
sound totally sucked,
quickly threw a 57 in front of it and sounded MUCH fatter,
mixed that 57 with another mic, on a different angle and distance,
with different eqing and FX, both mics panned a bit left and right

the result was fat !
and honestly, i don't care about phase problems here
(probably cause i just started experimenting with it)
cause it gives me an interesting stereo image

maby, 3 gits, change a git same amp but different mic?
did that make any sense at all?

we have no idea what's happening here
he may be changing pedals or gits and mics correspondingly.

Back