Mics for recording choir & orchestra...

greengyozaman

I was recording a chamber choir & orchestra the other day using:

2 x Rode NT55 matched pair (omni - 17cm spaced, placed behind the conductor)
2 x AKG C214 matched pair (spaced cardioid - 1.5m spaced, placed in front of either side of the ensemble)
1 x Focusrite Octopre MkII
1 x Zoom R24

The sound came out OK overall, but the Rode omni output was too narrow without the reinforcement from the C214s..

I've been asked to record again - this time with bigger choir. I'm just wondering what mics I should use....

In addition to the above, I also have:

2 x SE Electronics SE4400a matched pair
2 x AKG Perception 420 (but not matched pair)

Chamber orchestra will be roughly 25-30+ and choir be about 50-60 strong over 3 rows behind the orchestra. Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I used C214s in XY and spaced omni using my matched pair of SE Electronics SE4400a. Worked wonders.

But - I'm wondering if 4 mics will be enough record Bach's St Matthew Passion (for double choir and double orchestra)... I'm thinking of digging out my two AKG Perception 420 mics and possibly acquire another pair of multi-pattern LDCs (and then use my pair of Rode NT-55s to reinforce the ensemble sound)... Any thoughts?

What are the acoustics like where you're recording? That would definitely affect my choice of mic and positioning.

A typical anglican parish church but with rather boomy acoustic and I'd expect the choir to be in the middle but with 4 different levels of height. Very high ceiling.

Back