Microphoning Guitar cables....

Goldilox

Educate me a little please folks...

I was under the impression that 'microphoning', as in the cable transmitting sounds of it's own movement, was due to age and abuse.

I've just taken delivery of a brand new Fender Koil Kord, and it's microphoning every bit as bad as the cable it was supposed to replace. Should I be sending it back?

Is it a shielded cable? that used to happen when someone used an unshielded cable instead of a proper guitar one? is it laying next to other cables? wall warts and DC can cause RF interference

What kind of sounds? Buzz and hum, or crackling and bumps? The sound of the moving cable? (getting transferred to the guitar body?)

What kind of sounds? Buzz and hum, or crackling and bumps? The sound of the moving cable? (getting transferred to the guitar body?)

Crackles primarily, only happening when you move the cable.

bruiser1964 said:
Is it a shielded cable?
Yes. The new one is a Fender branded instrument cable. The old one is also shielded, but I'm less concerned as I've already had several years of weekly gigging out of it.

Crackles primarily, only happening when you move the cable.

Yes. The new one is a Fender branded instrument cable. The old one is also shielded, but I'm less concerned as I've already had several years of weekly gigging out of it.

Cables can become microphonic when their capacitance changes, just like a condenser microphone. I would return it.
VP

Yes, send it back. It sounds like it has a bad solder connection to either the hot or ground connection of the plug. It is faulty and should be replaced under warranty!

But But But if it was happening with the previous cable could it not be something else like the input socket at the amp or output at the guitar?

But But But if it was happening with the previous cable could it not be something else like the input socket at the amp or output at the guitar?

I've tried it with two guitars and two amps, so I'm pretty confident it is the cable. The previous cable got noisy after several years of being gigged twice a week, walked over, coiled & recoiled. I have other (shorter & less useful) cables that don't have any problem at all.

I've contacted the company who I ordered from today, to say I'd like to return the cable. Thanks to all for your advice.

Not sure, VP. The "test tone" feature may have potential for that. I've got a pro-quality cable tester, but it lacks that feature.

Back