Microphone Noise. Is this normal?

wallystripes

Today I was recording some stuff home. I had my akg c4000b hooked up with my Tascam us144mk2 into cubase. When I moved the mic to a diff position the interface's line in LED started to blink in red (clip). Next time I moved the mic I decided to turn phantom power off befor moving it. I did that and the same happened, there was a big noise and the signal clipped. Also, sometimes when I move the mic it doesnt record anything. I have to tap the cable a few times and it will start recording.

Im kind of scared because this is my first serious mic and I dont know if this is normal, if my cable is not working or if it is the mic or the interface.

Thanks a lot guys!

Try another cable if you have one. It sounds like either a cable connector or the input connector at the mic. If you don't have another cable, massage each connector end and see if you can "tease" the problem to happen. Once you know which end is your noise maker you can zero in on whats wrong.

Thanks guys. Il try with another cable. In case its the input connector would it be a lot of trouble (and money) to fix it?

Sometimes it's inexplicable. Back in December, during two sessions, my Rode mic kept going out and it was really annoying. I swapped cables and inputs on my preamp and it worked. Next time though, I thought, I'm going to go back to how it was before as I'd been doing it all these months. And since then, I've had no problem with it. I don't know what or why. The crackles and shorting came and went. Weird.

Sometimes it's inexplicable. Back in December, during two sessions, my Rode mic kept going out and it was really annoying. I swapped cables and inputs on my preamp and it worked. Next time though, I thought, I'm going to go back to how it was before as I'd been doing it all these months. And since then, I've had no problem with it. I don't know what or why. The crackles and shorting came and went. Weird.

I too had this problem. I thought it was a lead. Swapping the leads fixed it . . . then it came back.

In the end I opened the Rode and discovered a dry solder joint. Fixed that, then no more problems.

I have been really buisy and havent tried a different cable, but I am going to do so tomorrow. Ill let you know if that was the problem. Hope it is the cable, i would hate to have some serious issue with my most expensive mic so far :(

the cables always gonna be the most likely cause. Yes ..... mics fail but really, at a MUCH lower rate than cables do.

Back