Microphone for music and voice acting + audio interface

When going with a pair of microphone, would you recommend going with a stereo bar or a second stand?

I can send you samples of both acoustic guitar and voice done on them if you want to hear what they sound like (but I better not post generally because they're not my copyright).
I certainly wouldn't mind.

When going with a pair of microphone, would you recommend going with a stereo bar or a second stand?

I use both techniques depending on the material but, for the applications you describe, a second stand would likely be better. The stereo bar is used mainly for an X-Y technique for things like recording a choir.

I certainly wouldn't mind.

I'll post a couple of short clips and PM you a link.

Stereo bar OR second stand? Buy both!

Not going to need a second mortgage! My local electronics store Maplin is not noted for low prices (their cables are outrageous!) but I can get a bar and a boom stand for well under £40. Ok, so these are not heavy duty, finely engineered products but for the home jockey they don't need to be.

The home recordist is also often strapped for space and it is worth looking around for some 1/2 height stands which are ideal for cabs/ac guitar. I also have a couple with a heavy, compact base instead of the trip inducing splayed legs.

Dave.

For home use and light mics (as any SDC will be) the cheapies are absolutely fine. Probably my most used stands now are a set I got here in Aus--six boom stands for $75 plus delivery. They're about five years old now and still going strong. For heavy LDC mics or when I'm using my Reflexion Filter, I have a few vastly more expensive K&M stands which are great--but not needed for everything.

Edited to add...if you do decide to go with the sE 1A mics, the stereo pair option come with a flight case and stereo mounting bar as part of the standard kit anyhow.

I'm going to suggest three multi-pattern condenser mics for flexibility/versatility---but if you have a noisy/untreated environment, stick with a decent dynamic mic or two (Shure, EV, Sennheiser, AKG, AT, Audix, Beyer, etc.):

Nady SCM960 (~$60)
CAD M179M (~$130)
CAD E300s (~$180)

The prices are current BHphotovideo.com prices.

I also have a friend who is really enjoying the simplicity and sound of a Blue Yeti PRO (4 patterns, USB & Standard XLR, ~$170) for USB recording but I haven't had time to check it out.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Back