Mic modding party....

dgatwood

is out. Leave a message.
So when the group buy mics come in, who here plans to mod their mics? Any detailed plans yet?

Here's my list:

Ribbons:

keep as-is or upgrade to Lundahl transformers. Depends on how much the thinner ribbon opens up the high end on its own.

Tube SDCs:

1. Possibly a tube swap (depending on how heinous the tube is), but otherwise, I don't expect to mod them.
2. Maybe swap out the coupling capacitor (if there is one), depending on what sort of part they used.

Tube LDCs: Lots of stuff:

1. Redesign the headbasket so that it is held in by a single screw from the side instead of two screws from inside the mic body.
2. Put a connector inline in the capsule wiring.
3. Wire up a couple of different capsules (Peluso) with inline connectors.
4. Rework the circuit as a cathode follower if it isn't already.

That last one is likely to be a pain in the backside, so if it needs to be done, I may never get around to it. :D

Yeah I always drop in a Cinemag or Lundhal into my ribbons.
The Cinemag CM-9887 is probably my favorite. Really opens up the top end and tightens the bottom end. Makes them much more neutral.
I bought a couple lollipop style and a dual ribbon, I'm not sure what kind of space we'll have to work with. Probably not much.
I have some NOS 1965 RCA clear top 12au7's that need a home. Maybe they'll sound good in the tube condenser. :)

Yeah I always drop in a Cinemag or Lundhal into my ribbons.
The Cinemag CM-9887 is probably my favorite. Really opens up the top end and tightens the bottom end. Makes them much more neutral.
I bought a couple lollipop style and a dual ribbon, I'm not sure what kind of space we'll have to work with. Probably not much.

Do those Cinemags have wire leads? The reason I ask is that Lundahl recently released a version of their ribbon mic output transformer (LL2912) that has wire leads instead of requiring PCB mounting. Seems like a good idea in tight quarters.

What is the main reason for wanting to convert the tube circuit to a cathode follower? What benefit are you trying to achieve?

I bought my two Lundahl LL2911s from:
http://www.kandkaudio.com/
http://www.cinemag.biz/
You have to contact them for a quote.
Thanks - I just thought I was dense, not being able to find the Cinemag prices on the site.

Is that kinda' like a Tupperwear party

?
I don't know - I've never worn a tupper before - are they comfortable?

...or a dildo party
I'm not familiar with those - maybe you could explain how that works.

What is the main reason for wanting to convert the tube circuit to a cathode follower? What benefit are you trying to achieve?

While admittedly I haven't heard a lot of mics that have both forms of tube circuit, the one I have sounded dramatically better with a cathode follower circuit. More specifically, it had dramatically less distortion and the high end didn't sound boxy like the plate follower design.

I figure it's worth experimenting with one of them to be able to do a more direct comparison, time permitting.

While I've read Micheal Jolly prefers the cathode follower on the Oktava tube mics, many are quite pleased removing the cathode followers on their Apex 460's, Nady 1050's, and other similar builds, as this gets the circuit closer to the AKG/Elam circuit. It hink wanting a cathode follower should depend on what mic you're starting off with.

Craig

While I've read Micheal Jolly prefers the cathode follower on the Oktava tube mics

That's putting it mildly. If you haven't listened to the clips he posted, have a listen. The cathode follower sounds night and day better, albeit presumably at a cost in gain.

many are quite pleased removing the cathode followers on their Apex 460's, Nady 1050's, and other similar builds, as this gets the circuit closer to the AKG/Elam circuit.

True enough. I don't know what the circuit on this thing is going to look like, so your guess is as good as mine.

I'm not familiar with those - maybe you could explain how that works.

it's just like a tupperware party, except the chick throwing it sells adult-oriented items

god knows what ends up going on at those things...

While I've read Micheal Jolly prefers the cathode follower on the Oktava tube mics, many are quite pleased removing the cathode followers on their Apex 460's, Nady 1050's, and other similar builds, as this gets the circuit closer to the AKG/Elam circuit. It hink wanting a cathode follower should depend on what mic you're starting off with.

Craig

Agreed. The differences between using a cathode follower versus plate follower depends on the load and impedance after the stage. Without too much technical explanation, you can get some dramatic changes in frequency response by going from one to another.

hey guys, once these mics arrive, please do post about your progress with modding them. i'm pretty new to the whole art of mic modding, so i'm not entirely sure where i'll want to go with the tube LDCs. thanks!

i'd like to ask a general question.

How do you guys go about choosing transformers and caps for mic modding?

I have an SP ribbon mic that i'd consider modding. the soldering for me is the easy part, but i'm lost on choosing the correct components.

Back