Mic Hissing

ikiya13

Sorry if I put this under the wrong section but I am just trying to stop my microphone from hissing. I got a $25 Amazon gift card from my friend and I really needed a new headset. I bought this thing Amazon.com: Turtle Beach Ear Force Z11: Computers & Accessories and I found out that my microphone hisses. I read the manual and it says that the microphone recording frequency is anywhere between 50Hz and 15kHz. I opened Realtek HD Audio Manager and I couldn't manage to get the frequency below 44.1kHz. Some help please. I just need to get the hissing to stop. The quality is fine just the hissing is annoying.

Attachments

• 2017-06-14.png
    2017-06-14.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
Hi,
Can you post a clip of the hissing, please?

Don't worry about the 44.1kHz. It's meant to be set to that, regardless of the microphone frequency response, and isn't going to be related to your hissing.

Try getting the recording volune to 90-pct, not +20. And make sure all the MIC and sound effects are off.

EDIT; also, shared mode might introduce noise

Sorry, I'm not very educated in mics. By 90-pct did you mean moving the recording slider to 90 and removing the +20? I did that because the mic sounded quiet and I didn't know what else to do.

---------- Update ----------

I'm so sorry I recorded the audio and found the file but I'm not sure how to send it in here.

Users reported the Mute switch may cause MIC problems. Can you excersise the switch to see if that helps

I read a few threads where guys had issues with the same headset.
They were boosting in software, as you are, because their voice was so quiet, but the hiss was very prominent.

Interestingly, one guy tested the headset with skype on his phone and found there was no problem.

Is the same true for you?

Yes the same is true for me. I tried using skype on my phone and there was no hissing. Does that mean that the adapter is bad or that is is low quality?

There would be good odds. I would work that connection, also. and wiggling the plug while connected

Ok I will try exercising the mute switch and unplugging and plugging in many times and see what happens. Will update if any results. No update = no results.

What's the adapter? Is that just a 3.5mm, 4-Pole to 2 x 3.5mm 3 pole?
If so, no. It won't have any effect on the sound.

Really I think it just means the headset mic isn't sensitive enough or the microphone input isn't clean enough...or both.

I think all you can do is make sure the mic input level in windows is at 100, boost is disabled, the mic isn't unnecessarily far away, and you're speaking loud and clear.
I'm not a big windows user, though, so maybe more tips will follow! :)

Time for some reality. Cheap mics are noisy compared to better ones. Realtek sound chips installed in computers also add noise (hiss) to a signal, especially when the levels are turned way up because cheap mics also tend to have low level outputs.

To be rude, any solutions that try to help are polishing the proverbial turd. A better mic and even a cheap external USB audio interface will magically remove the hiss. Of course then the problem becomes the acoustics of your room. but that's another post.

I doubt a noise gate will be adequate, although that's for the OP to say.

Ikiya, what's your intended use for this headset? Gaming, youtube vids?
If you haven't damaged or marked it you may be able to return to amazon and maybe think about a tabletop USB mic.
If recording is a long game for you, maybe even separate interface and mic?

I know a lot of guys who game heavily, stream, youtube etc but I don't think any of them uses a headset.
If guys ever jump into Teamspeak or discord with headsets, you can usually tell straight away. :eek:

They're super convenient, sure, but anything going into the computer line/mic-input is pot luck, really.

You do get USB headsets which would take your built-in soundcard out of the loop, but I know nothing of them and can't vouch for them.

Turtle Beach used to be pretty good, but this model is cheaper. My Yamaha cm-500 work well enough that I mentioned them in the Vocal MIC thread. No, I don't play Monday Night Football with Frank and Howard wearing headsets : ) Mike Rivero always wears a headset in his broadcast

Anyway, the odds of getting something dead, or, half-working increase with the lower price point. My Gretsch bass was DOA

My indent for this headset was not really for recording or streaming. I just wanted something that was comfortable and has decent sound quality. It's not a huge bother for me that it hisses. It's just kind of annoying for others. If there's no solution that's ok, I will just stick with what I have. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

garww said.."The exact same thing can happen with any good MIC and a bad cable - bad S/N "

A cable cannot induce HISS. At least not by any electronic means I am aware of. Hum, yes. RFI even but only resistors and active devices hiss.

Dave.

garww said.."The exact same thing can happen with any good MIC and a bad cable - bad S/N "

A cable cannot induce HISS. At least not by any electronic means I am aware of. Hum, yes. RFI even but only resistors and active devices hiss.

Dave.

Well, my last ribbon MIC was giving me -70db to -65db with the cable I had out. I was suggesting the noise I had was from my active circuit in the Layla 3G being maxed. I didn't bother boosting that another +20 in Ardour : ) The 85w RMS amp gave me enough for a proper listen

Back