Mexican Teles

Some like to tinker. I suspect for many, it is a way of coping with boredom or frustration with their own music. The music forums are full of people whose primary musical activity amounts to buying, selling, and tinkering with gear. To each his own. A pattern I've noticed for years is my episodes of GAS correlate negatively with my current level of my musical activity and satisfaction. When I am in a creative phase, playing, writing, and recording a lot, I'm not thinking about buying more gear.

It's funny, but I have a big chunk of gig money saved up and I have no idea what to spend it on, music-wise. There's nothing I want for my recording setup. I'm making and recording music well enough to make me very happy and I don't have GAS for anything.

If I didn't own a USA tele, I have no doubt that a Mex tele would play and sound just as good, and would be indistinguishable in a recording from its more expensive brother. I don't believe that anybody could tell in a blind test where the guitar was made, either. Snake oil and gullible people are everywhere.

Stopping yourself procrastinating isn't that hard.. Or I don't find it hard. I have a list of all the songs I have that I want to finish and a list of what work needs doing with each one. There's always something on the list for one of them that needs doing that also coincides with something that I want to do.

I don't really suffer from GAS (thankfully?).

All I really purchase now is blank CDs, strings and picks. There are things I'd like to own of course if money were no object, but nothing more that I really need (and I don't have much!).

Stopping yourself procrastinating isn't that hard.. Or I don't find it hard. I have a list of all the songs I have that I want to finish and a list of what work needs doing with each one. There's always something on the list for one of them that needs doing that also coincides with something that I want to do.

I have three albums worth of original material sitting in various stages of finished-ness. On top of that, two bands worth of gigs, writing, practicing, etc. On top of that, buying shit. I just do what I want when I want. There's no rush to do any of this. There's no race for me to finish things and put them up in the clinic.

I have three albums worth of original material sitting in various stages of finished-ness. On top of that, two bands worth of gigs, writing, practicing, etc. On top of that, buying shit. I just do what I want when I want. There's no rush to do any of this. There's no race for me to finish things and put them up in the clinic.
That's great, but I don't have anything like that quantity of material recorded and I'm not that good at recording. I have two songs in the Finished pile and am keen to get more done. I'm also enjoying learning to record properly.... I think I'm just a guy that needs lists of shit though or I achieve fuck all, I'll just stand around noodling pointlessly. I'm the same at work, I have to write lists and and be able to tick things off or I get nowhere.

I need to get more organized about my stuff. I've been collecting gear faster than I've been churning out material. I start things and never finish them. And while I'm in no hurry, I've passed the point of procrastination on several projects. I think that for my own sanity, I need to start wrapping up projects instead of eternally futzing with them. Teach me!

I don't really suffer from GAS (thankfully?).

All I really purchase now is blank CDs, strings and picks. There are things I'd like to own of course if money were no object, but nothing more that I really need (and I don't have much!).

I think that you might be sick :D

My wife finally understands fully what GAS is. I've had it bad. Time to stop collecting and start finishing projects instead!

I do look back at my younger days when I played whatever guitar I could get my hands on and used a distortion pedal into a bass amp. Good ol days. Not a care in the world. It sounded shitty, but whatever.

You know, I actually considered that . :D

I always think of taking lessons. I can't go any further left to my own devices. But then I think, do I really need to be better? Better at what? Better for what? Usually I just think I'm as good as I need to be and just roll with it.

I do look back at my younger days when I played whatever guitar I could get my hands on and used a distortion pedal into a bass amp. Good ol days. Not a care in the world. It sounded shitty, but whatever.

It might've done then, but if you went back to that setup with what you know now, I'd wager that you could coax a reasonable working tone out of it. :D If you have a halfway decent guitar, a halfway decent amp and reasonable chops I see no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't be able to make a decent noise without hand-wringing about whether you have a 1960s NOS Mullard preamp valve in your AC30. People who worry about that stuff instead of just getting on with it need a hearty slap. Or even a thorough shoeing. :D

Funny you mention that. I though about bringing up my gamelon symphony, my five albums' worth of ambient guitar feedback, and the masterpiece--Robus's 1st Kazoo Concerto in Gminor. But none of them are finished yet, and there are two kinds of songs, finished and unfinished. Of those, only one counts as a song. When you get the inspiration to finish something, by all means post up on the clinic. We'll sort you right out.

If I didn't own a USA tele, I have no doubt that a Mex tele would play and sound just as good, and would be indistinguishable in a recording from its more expensive brother. I don't believe that anybody could tell in a blind test where the guitar was made, either. Snake oil and gullible people are everywhere.

I mostly agree. There are differences between the USA and Mexican Fenders, but they are more in the refinements and details. All my electric guitars and basses are USA made, but I'll freely admit a lot of that comes down to me being a nationalistic Yank. The idea of owning a foreign made copy of a classic American original goes against the grain. Then again, I'm paying USA prices, not UK ones. Since I buy with the notion of keeping it forever, a difference of say $600 between a USA and Mexican Fender isn't much when spread over the years or--hopefully--decades I might spend playing it.

It might've done then, but if you went back to that setup with what you know now, I'd wager that you could coax a reasonable working tone out of it. :D

Probably, but I wouldn't be happy with it because I now know better. I don't want a reasonable working tone. I want a tone that excites me. I've been spoiled though. I admit it. I'm spoiled. I do feel and hear the differences between a really good guitar and a mediocre working guitar. I can tell the difference between a budget Bugera amp and a handwired Friedman or a vintage Plexi. That might be kind of snobby, but I'm not just saying that. I can tell the difference. Some guy in the crowd probably can't, but I can, and I'm the one doing the playing, so I wanna be happy with what I'm playing.

See the problem with you les paul guys is that you're stuck.

A strat player can apreciate and embrace both.

I never met a strat player that said les pauls suck, but plenty of les paul players that say strats suck.

You guys are racist. Lol

:D :D

I'm not at all segregated, I'm integrated.....I love less Paul's too!
You guys that are trying to keep "strat privilege" going can call me a Paul lover I don't care!
lol

I'll give my MexiStrat some credit. It's been with me since...91-ish. I've played a shit ton of sweaty bloody pukey punk rock shows with it. It's been dropped, thrown, used as a shield, it's never ever been in a case, it's never been cleaned, it's been bounced around the trunk of a GTO for years and years, and it never really gave me any trouble besides the crappy pots and switches. It's been on a ton of my recordings. For a long time it was the counter rhythm to my SG. SG on one side, Strat on the other. So I do hate Strats, but I guess I like this one. It has a lot of sentimental value. I don't use it anymore though. I'm looking at it right now as it sits on a stand. It's final resting place. Gathering dust. Superseded by better stuff that plays better and sounds better.

Back