Mexican Teles

I have one electric guitar and one amplifier and have owned both since the early '90's. I've never modified either of them. Kind of boring I guess, but I've never really had that desire. I don't begrudge anyone who does though...

I too had an '80's Japanese Squire strat ages ago which I sold to raise money for the guitar I own now. I still miss that thing. It played great. Had a super fast neck.

I'm not a huge strat fan, but I never really had any issues with mine other than the tone lacking a bit of meat overall. I wouldn't mind getting another one someday. I've never wanted a tele myself. I associate them too much with the Boss and they just look silly to me.

I used to hate Teles too. Then I played my friend's MIM Tele in our band several times and I really fell in love with how it sounded, looked, and played.

I bought a USA Deluxe Tele a year or two ago, sight unseen. The fit and finish are really, really remarkable, and it plays very well. But the damn thing doesn't SOUND like a Tele. It's not twangy in the least. From what I've gathered, it has something to do with the 6-saddle bridge instead of the traditional 3-saddle brass bridge. And maybe something to do with how the bridge pickup is mounted.

I mean, it sounds good, but it doesn't sound like a twangy bright snappy Tele.

The issues people have with strats surprise me.

I put 5 springs on the trem and hitting it with hand, pressing on it, or resting my hand on it doesn't effect the tuning or move the trem. at all.

The saddle screws don't feel sharp and pointy when I palm mute, because I mute in front of them.

If the volume knob was located someplace different how would you use your pinky to do steel guitar type volume swells?

If the bridge didn't have ice pick to the ear tones, switching the selector switch back and forth on the deep G string bend wouldn't sound right on Voodoo Child (slight return).

Nobody has done any wilder or crazier hard strumming than me and I don't hit the volume knob or the selector switch accidentally.

Also, sometimes you want to sit down on the sofa or in a chair, at home, and pick a little. A strat is about the only guitar you can comfortably do that with.

The strat is the greatest electric guitar design ever conceived.
Leo Fender was a genius!!

The issues people have with strats surprise me.

I put 5 springs on the trem and hitting it with hand, pressing on it, or resting my hand on it doesn't effect the tuning or move the trem. at all.

The saddle screws don't feel sharp and pointy when I palm mute, because I mute in front of them.

If the volume knob was located someplace different how would you use your pinky to do steel guitar type volume swells?

If the bridge didn't have ice pick to the ear tones, switching the selector switch back and forth on the deep G string bend wouldn't sound right on Voodoo Child (slight return).

Nobody has done any wilder or crazier hard strumming than me and I don't hit the volume knob or the selector switch accidentally.

Also, sometimes you want to sit down on the sofa or in a chair, at home, and pick a little. A strat is about the only guitar you can comfortably do that with.

The strat is the greatest electric guitar design ever conceived.
Leo Fender was a genius!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :thumbs up:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A perfect guitar. The world is at your fingertips.
Only a whiney pussy complains...oooh the switch and volume control is in my way. Lol
:D :D :D

Good points. So strats are good for country blues rock and sitting on a porch.

I don't do any of that so for me they still suck real bad.

See the problem with you les paul guys is that you're stuck.

A strat player can apreciate and embrace both.

I never met a strat player that said les pauls suck, but plenty of les paul players that say strats suck.

You guys are racist. Lol

:D :D

See the problem with you les paul guys is that you're stuck.

A strat player can apreciate and embrace both.

I never met a strat player that said les pauls suck, but plenty of les paul players that say strats suck.

You guys are racist. Lol

:D :D

When I say they suck, the "for me" is implied. I have no use for a Strat....even though I've owned one for damn near 30 years!

Us Les Paul guys don't need to appreciate a Strat because we have Les Pauls. That's like saying a Ferrari owner should embrace a Ford Focus. :D

When I say they suck, the "for me" is implied. I have no use for a Strat....even though I've owned one for damn near 30 years!

Us Les Paul guys don't need to appreciate a Strat because we have Les Pauls. That's like saying a Ferrari owner should embrace a Ford Focus. :D

Hahah.:D
Thats the most stupid analogy I've ever heard.
:D

A strat in the right hands is awesome and capable of achieving any sound possible.
Case in point; Jeff Beck

Hahah.:D
Thats the most stupid analogy I've ever heard.

A strat in the right hands is awesome and capable of achieving any sound possible.
Eh, not really. They can't sound like a Les Paul. Not even with humbuckers.
Case in point; Jeff Beck

Okay, good point. Should I list the famous Les Paul users?

All in good fun.
Greg is the greatest troll ever. :D

I'm not trolling. I really do hate strats. It's not some new revelation. I've talked about a lot over the years. Lol. And I can't be convinced otherwise because I can actually play guitar and know what I like.

But my hatred of Strats doesn't mean that others should as well. I know I'm in the minority and really don't care.

Hey what it boils down to is this.

ALL great guitar players have used one of three standard instruments at different times or throughout their careers.

Les Paul
Strat
Tele
Those are the kings of R&R, blues, metal, soul, early R&B (not what they call r&b nowadays)

All are great tools. Don't hate the tool. Hate the player.

Very true. And don't forget the SG.
Yes true. But in a lesser capacity.
In 35 years in the business, I've found gtr players always come back to the big three ( for the most part)

Me as a player, i have my own preferences. But love all guitars. Just like women, they're all different but all the same.

Sometimes I Ferrari owner needs something that is comfortable, a bit more practical and economical.

Why didn't you just buy a new guitar that already had potted pickups and the tone controls that you wanted?!? ;)

Mostly kidding, but it does go pretty contrary to your argument about pickup swapping. Sometimes your guitar is close to what you want, but not exactly. I'm all for taking a guitar from 95% of perfect for you and pushing it to 100% with a few mods.

Touché, sort of, but the entire modification cost me ten English pounds to get done and made the guitar playable in a live situation :D. Anything other than basic low gain settings resulted in a storm of squealing. They weren't tone mods as such, just stuff that needed to be done to preserve my sanity. :D

What's the trouble with swapping parts? Electric guitars are modular. Why settle for something that is 75% of what you want?

What's the trouble with swapping parts? Electric guitars are modular. Why settle for something that is 75% of what you want?

It's when it becomes an end in itself that it's a problem. It can become an avoidance behaviour, a procrastination. I see it all the time. The Marshall forum is saturated with those twats. :D

Some like to tinker. I suspect for many, it is a way of coping with boredom or frustration with their own music. The music forums are full of people whose primary musical activity amounts to buying, selling, and tinkering with gear. To each his own. A pattern I've noticed for years is my episodes of GAS correlate negatively with my current level of my musical activity and satisfaction. When I am in a creative phase, playing, writing, and recording a lot, I'm not thinking about buying more gear.

Back