Equipment for recording post-rock / ambient

Herr Joachim

Hi. I'm thinking of creating post-rock / ambient, and wonder what equipment to buy.
I have up to about $1200 to spend.

I have a Mexican Fender Telecaster with Tonerider hot classics pickups, a Novation Impulse
midi keyboard, a good orchestral strings sample library, a noisy solid state amp, two Gefell
UM70 mics, and a Steinberg UR22 audio interface.

I am thinking of three different approaches to get the guitar tones I am after:

1) Getting a decent amplifier + effect pedals (Empress Reverb & Strymon Timeline, and a fuzz)
The Empress Reverb pedal has a "ghost mode" that I quite like, which I am not sure
I can get from the below options.

2) Getting a decent amplifier + effect plugins (Valhalla Shimmer, Delay, Reverb) + fuzz pedal

3) Getting an amp modeler/effects unit like Axe FX2 or similar. I've listened to some demos
of Headrush, Helix LT, and Boss GT-1000 which didn't impress me too much. The Axe Fx2
sounded better to my ears.

Any ideas for what amp or amp modeler/effects unit that would suit my purpose?
Also general advice concerning this project would be nice.

Have a nice evening!

Most of your listed equipment is on the "instrument" side...but you don't list a lot AFA the "recording" side.

Do you have monitors...?
Is your interface sufficient for your needs?
Are those two mics enough and will they cover all your tonal palette needs?
What about percussion/drums?

I don't think it matter as much what effects and modelers to use...I mean, Post-Rock/Ambient doesn't really require a lot of specific instruments or recording gear...pretty much whatever is used for other music styles can be used for that music...but I think you need to outline your specific goals a bit more AFA the recording side of things.

Thanks for your response.

My idea was to make decent sounding demos to put up on Soundcloud, and probably
also use for a friend's Bible meditation videos.

I have monitors. The interface could have been better, but I think it will be OK for now.
Concerning the mics, I am not sure whether they will give me a broad variety of sounds.
But I think I can work with what I have. Not sure whether I will use drums to begin with.
I bought a collection of post-rock drum loops, that I could use.

Have a nice day.

I would think a good orchestra plugin, I have been using Philharmonik from IK, not the best but for the money it is pretty good and can get you pretty decent results. For drums if you go MIDI is a good drum plug in, Superior makes a really good plugin, I would start with easy drummer and go from there, the full version is really good. There are others out there that are equally as good.

Good ambient rock conjures up in my mind, Yes, Peter Gabriel, ELO somewhat in that direction. There are others I am sure, but that is what I think from my past of what little you have stated.

My 2 cents, DAW choice, start sampling plugins, on the guitars I have mixed feelings, just DI and then put effects on it or modelers. I tend to waiver back and forth. I have been using Waves GTR package as a part of a bundle, it works well for me, but I couldn't say it is the best. I like the Waves silver bundle and it is half off right now with coupon code half, it is a nice package for the money and Waves does a really good job in the quality of their software.

These are just my opinions, I recommend using these suggestions as a guide and determine what works for you.

Back