metal song. not done mixing but like to know what you think thus far.

Nice, I love that black metal Trevor Strnad type vocal. Great energy in this track, be sure to post your finished mix. :)

Not bad. THe guitars are nice, but you should mute or delete the parts where instruments dont play so as it sounds cleaner when an instrument pauses (ie guitar at 1 min 11 sec, abouts).

yea i have since beefed up the bass. that was my very first issue with it when i wasn't listening to it on my monitors. My monitors usually seem to cut lows, maybe it's my room. anyway, i try to comp for it and i went a bit far. what do you guys think about treating the walls. i just don't know what with. I'm in a rectangular basement with all cinder block/concrete walls.

24'
|-----------------|
|xxFLOORxxxxxxxxx| 11.5'
|xxxxxxxxxxx^xxxxx|
|-----------|-----|
............monitors

any ideas? there is probally 1.5 feet between the back of my monitors and the wall and say another 9 from the front to the facing wall. seems like when i feel like i have a nice full mix down there it sounds muddy almost anywhere else.

jay.

Nice song.

I would cut some mids from the kick and add a short reverb to the snare. Vocals need some reverb/delay too.

daunt: i def agree w/ that.

i was looking at a new effect proc from yamaha i think. goes for about a grand. read about it in tape op. has these new reverbs called "rev-x" or something.

jay.

I would say,..if that is the room you taped your drums in,..leave it alone. The drums sound great. Nice stereo image. Beautiful job! No rvb or effects needed on those.
The guitar tones however,..in my opinion,.. need to be fatter.
I think a verb or delay on the vocs would not do well. They sound fine.
The only thing I think you need to work on is the guits. As stated earlier,..clean up the dead air with a gate. Also,...if theres a bass in their,..I cant hear it.
Really nice mix so far.
Nice job.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

I personally think it sounds alot like a "live" recording more than anything.

Btw, to get rid of that buzz noise when the guitar doesnt play.. the best way i know is to buy a Noise-Gate pedal, then when ur not playing.. no sound is generated. Works wonderfully. :)

-Arik

Back