mastering

dirtyp

this sight claims to do mastering for 10 a song , or 80 a cd..
do you think this is bs?
the say you can send them a 30 second sample.
they also have a list of equipment.
it would be perfect if its legit......
they dont provide a name of any clients......

http://www.audiosuppressor.com

His 'equipment' is a Waves bundle of plugins. (tap delays and flangers are not normally mastering tools)

He doesn't seem to have any more stuff than every other 16 year old with a cracked version of waves diamond bundle.

It might be perfectly legitamate, but they don't have the stuff to master anything properly.

(hint: the equipment list doesn't include speakers, converters, etc...)

thats what I meant about legit...... that sucks I could have used that.
I think most of us could..

The name itself is an interesting indicator - :D

Audio Suppressor... To suppress...

1. To put an end to forcibly; subdue.
2. To curtail or prohibit the activities of.
3. To keep from being revealed, published, or circulated.
4. To deliberately exclude (unacceptable desires or thoughts) from the mind.
5. To inhibit the expression of (an impulse, for example); check: suppress a smile.

But yeah, anyone who thinks his plugins are more important than his monitoring chain (which is excluded from the gear list for some very odd reason)...

I'm not saying anything in particular, but there is reason to be apprehensive... Although it doesn't seem to outwardly deceptive (as several are). It's probably a simple "you get what you pay for" situation.

Last edited:
dirtyp said:
thats what I meant about legit...... that sucks I could have used that.
I think most of us could..
The sad reality is, once a person puts together a worthwhile system, they have invested too much to do anything for $10 a song.

Funny detail: why's there a gun with a silencer in the background? Looks like he even borrowed the flashy site from someone...

Well, if one is to trust the pictures on his Equipment page, he's spent $7000 on several Waves bundles, most of which have mostly duplicate plugs in them. And that's only if he sticks with the TDM packages for PT. If he got the native format versions of those packages that include RTAS, VST, etc, it's more like $14,000 just in Waves stuff alone; 80% of which was a waste of money because 80% of the plugs in those packages are duplicated from package to package.

Then he's got a picture of an X-Top 2x3 LCD video display from 9X Media, which itself costs about as much as a Waves Diamond bundle.

Now, what he'd ever need a 2x3 video matrix for in audio mastering is beyond comprension. If he just wanted a large monitor, he could get a 40" LCD for 1/3rd the cost of that array. And there is no need for multiple video feeds in a matrix in audio engineering.

So he's allegedly got somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 in plugin software and video displays(?), and he's doing his audio mastering with KRK V8 nearfields at $500 a pop??? Uh huh.

Note also his attempt to avoid image copyright detection by inverting the colors on the images of the hardware.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Note also his attempt to avoid image copyright detection by inverting the colors on the images of the hardware.

I thought he was doing that to be hip and cool.

SonicAlbert said:
I thought he was doing that to be hip and cool.
I suppose it could be that too :rolleyes: . Though the only images I noticed that were inverted were manufacturer's shots of hardware, namely the 9X display, the KRK monitors and the (Ultrasone?) headphones.

Then again, I didn't stick around his site for very long. I figured I'd save his server bandwith for his automated script trolling of the BitTorrent airwaves. He may want a new copy of Nuendo or something ;) .

G.

No one is worried about the consequences of doubting this company? Have you seen the firearm? I believe that's where Massive Webster's dictionary #1 fits in:)

Hey, $10 is $10. Might be worth a shot for the entertainment value alone. Someone should at least try the 30 second sample.

Farview said:
His 'equipment' is a Waves bundle of plugins. (tap delays and flangers are not normally mastering tools)

that's just silly, i put tap delays on ALL of my masters. :D

It feels like this is a guy (I don't think it would be a stretch to say 'kid') who 'obtained' some Waves stuff and wants to make a little pocket change (maybe to upgrade his monitors or aquire an actual license from Waves ;) )

He's probably not a scam artist, in that he'll do the work to the best of his ability - it's that 'ability' that is of course very questionable... no harm I suppose in sending something in for the free sample, you never know you may get something that is at least worth $10 to save you the hassle of buying Waves and doing it yourself...

But all those guns... I dunno, that's kinda freaky... "supressor", "arsenal", a link to "mercenary"... maybe this is just a front for hiring the A-Team :D

It's easy to laugh at the guy now but he could be a Grammy winner in 5-6 years if he keeps working at it. Think of this young company as someone who's just getting started and needs to figure out how to go about doing the actual mastering and the business end of things a LOT more. It's all good though. Everyone has to start somewhere and in the age of the internet, why not start with a website that says you're a business?

ryanlikestorock said:
It's easy to laugh at the guy now but he could be a Grammy winner in 5-6 years if he keeps working at it. Think of this young company as someone who's just getting started and needs to figure out how to go about doing the actual mastering and the business end of things a LOT more. It's all good though. Everyone has to start somewhere and in the age of the internet, why not start with a website that says you're a business?
Nothing wrong with that.

However, getting started in business by stealing ten grand or more worth of software and misrepresenting what they have in the way of hardware is not exactly getting off on the right foot. It's not ALL good.

G.

ryanlikestorock said:

Because sites like these are doing an injustice to the mastering industry.

C'mon Ryan, you've worked/work with João Carvalho. You know what real mastering is about.

If I worked at McDonalds I wouldn't be advertising myself as master chef.

Last edited:
Back