Marshall heads 50 watts?

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
isnt 50 watts like almost no power at all? how come the heads are only 50 and 100 watts. i got a combo right now thats 120 watts. (peavey special 212) is there a difference of something between tube and solid state or something?

im looking at getting a marshall JCM 2000 DSL

Cody Suit said:
i got a combo right now thats 120 watts. (peavey special 212) is there a difference of something between tube and solid state or something?

im looking at getting a marshall JCM 2000 DSL

Yes.

I re-tubed my TSL100 today and it could blow the nuts off a mighty elephant with out breaking a sweat ! Total beast !

Tube amps are much louder than trany amps rated at an equivalent wattage

Attachments

• JJs.jpg
    JJs.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 171
When I had a solid state rig, I was using a 1000 watt power amp. Now I'm using a Mesa 2 90 (180 watts) and it's louder.

My 18 watt Marshall makes my ears bleed. Plenty Loud enough for home/small gig - and it's 1 12".

A 50 or 100 watt with a 4x12 is WAY LOUD.

My new Vox is a 2X12, 100 watts. You can vary the wattage, and turn the volume up...I am at about 30%..30watts, and in a 12X12 room, it's really loud..volume about 50%. I think it's all realative.

I often recorded my avt50 on 5-7 at 50watts thru a 4x12 cabinet. If I turn my Mesa 30 watt much past 3 it hurts, way too loud even at that volume. Hell my 5 watt epiphone is loud thru my 4x12.

keep the peavey unless of course you love fixing amps....i hate marshall....ok don't hate them but will never EVER buy one again...they sound good (some of them) but there 50 watt stuff is trash, so if your gonna get a marshall get the 100 watt....but if your looking for a british voiced amp...then i recomend a orange....marshalls BREAK

I have a fifteen watt Blues Junior tube amp,and it is every bit as loud as I could ever use inside a house :eek: .My friend went out and bought the Fender Hot Rod tube amp that has 60 watts and four speakers,and it's too loud :eek: ,not to mention very heavy and hard to haul around.

Myself I wonder if the days of giant stacks have passed us by....... :confused:

chestwick91 said:
keep the peavey unless of course you love fixing amps....i hate marshall....ok don't hate them but will never EVER buy one again...they sound good (some of them) but there 50 watt stuff is trash, so if your gonna get a marshall get the 100 watt....but if your looking for a british voiced amp...then i recomend a orange....marshalls BREAK
How many marshalls have you broken? I've had over a dozen of them of all vintages and the only thing I've ever had to do to them is change the tubes. I suppose I did have to replace the caps in my '74, but 25 years is a pretty good run for electronics.

acidrock said:
Myself I wonder if the days of giant stacks have passed us by....... :confused:

Well, tube amps sound best with the power tubes soaked. As we both stated, a small 10-30 watt tube amp cranked is more than loud enough - do you really want to be in the same room with a 50 or 100 watt stack? I did it for years - and I still don't hear right........

chestwick91 said:

I dunno I had a 50w marshall plexi that sounded pretty sweet

NL5 said:
Wow. That has got to be a first.

Indeed. I mean, I like Peavey's unpowered gear, but they really should add fuses to their output path for output transistor protection (for their solid state amps, that is). Try replacing a Peavey head's output transistors twice in two years. On the third failure, we scrapped it, as we'd spent as much patching it together as we would have for a replacement amp.

You think Marshall is a pain.... Wait 'til that Peavey is a few years old and starts eating itself.

Last edited:
yea...i remember i blew up a 5150 combo once while recording - i plugged my guitar in, hit two chords, and poof...nothing

so then we plugged into the triple rectifier that was also there...same result

i then declared that guitar too metal for any amplifier to handle

=/

chestwick91 said:

Umm...what a load of nonsense...

Back