Marshall heads 50 watts?

TravisinFlorida said:
I've never peaked inside a Peavey tube amp but I've heard that amp techs hate working on them.
All the tube sockets are mounted to the circuit board. This causes all kind of problems, from heat related to cracks from rocking the tubes back and forth when changing them.

ScreamingHead69 said:
Yngwie only uses 50 watt amps. He uses 80 of them, but that's besides the point.
Only 6 cabinets are plugged in (in an arena), the rest are for show.

Cody Suit said:
isnt 50 watts like almost no power at all?

Absolutely not. I have a 50 watt Marshall and I cannot stand to be in the same room with it when it's cranked. I don't use it much any more because it is just too damn loud when it's turned up to where it sounds good.

ive had my peavey 212 repaired 4 times in the 5 years ive had it, plus im sick of the sound. its to grainy sounding. i borrowed a guitar amp at a show (a JCM 2000 DSL) into a marshall 4x12, using my same pedals and guitar and it sounded AWESOME!

yeh i thought there was a difference in the wattage between tube and solid state but i didn't know the range of difference.

is it worth the extra money for a JCM 2000 instead of a JCM 900? since one of you said that the 50 watt heads need fixing? but then someone said just tubes and thats normal...

i dunno

Cody Suit said:
is it worth the extra money for a JCM 2000 instead of a JCM 900? since one of you said that the 50 watt heads need fixing? but then someone said just tubes and thats normal...

Go play 'em and answer your own question. I, myself, love the no-master volume marshalls.........mmmmm mmmm good. :D

i just realized that the JCM 2000 has a 50 watt version. i got the wattage and the JCM stuff mixed up...

The jcm 2000 and the jcm 900 are different models. They both come in 50 and 100 watt heads.

You will have to change the tubes every so often in ANY tube amp. That's just the way it is. Your guitar isn't a piece of shit because the strings don't sound bright forever.

I like the jcm 2000 DSL and TSL models over the jcm 900's. The 900's have something in the distortion that I don't like. The 2000's have a bunch of switches that allow you to go from the old school jcm800 sound to the overblown sounds of today.

hey there

Cody Suit said:
i like the DEEP button... yeh...

question for you, not about the amp but i wasnt sure how else to ask. says in your profile you've got the samson 7 mic kit. how's that working for you? im thinking of getting the 8- and 3-mic kits for my drums, since i've got a pretty big set.

zacanger said:
question for you, not about the amp but i wasnt sure how else to ask. says in your profile you've got the samson 7 mic kit. how's that working for you? im thinking of getting the 8- and 3-mic kits for my drums, since i've got a pretty big set.

they were the first mics i got. their ok. good for the first set of mics if your just starting off and dont know anything (like i did), but eventually you'll wanna upgrade, once you've gotten the best sound out of them that you can.

i always have to add alot of highs on the overheads. (or that could just be my preference)

their good for a budget if you wanna close mic everything.

alot of the people i have recorded like the Q-Kick mic, on a guitar cab better then an SM57.

To measure the true wattage of an amp you use a signal generator to send a sine wave to the amp then hook an oscilloscope to the output. Turn the amp up until the sine wave distorts, measure the output current and calculate the wattage. My homebrew JTM45 is just under 30 watts. However, since we all like distorted guitar the figure goes much higher, especially when the inputs are boosted with pedals. The reason that tube amps sound louder is because tubes compress the signal and, just like TV commercials, that makes them sound louder Thus is born the myth of 'tube watts' vs 'solid state watts'.

Cody Suit: thanks, I'm probably just going to use them for close micing, along with my normal drum mics (D112, SM57, SM58, 2 Realistic mics).

zacanger said:
Cody Suit: thanks, I'm probably just going to use them for close micing, along with my normal drum mics (D112, SM57, SM58, 2 Realistic mics).

yeh i pretty much just use them, a SM57 on the snare a my D6 on the kick.

http://www.myspace.com/lepercreepcore

all the songs on there are with that kit and the 57 and d6 if you feel like it. although myspace compression makes everything sound like poo

Cody Suit said:
yeh i pretty much just use them, a SM57 on the snare a my D6 on the kick.

http://www.myspace.com/lepercreepcore

all the songs on there are with that kit and the 57 and d6 if you feel like it. although myspace compression makes everything sound like poo

Ah, k, cool, thanks. Despite the hideous myspace compression (one of the most annoying things on earth), cool tunes, good drum sound. I'm doing a gig tomorrow night, my backup singer is going to use a kick mic (d112) just because I feel like it. Not for lack of vocal mics, but because it looks cool.

when i record i use my d6 for the vocal mic. its really clear and crisp but i really have to crank the gain to get a decent signal.

Back