Making panel for front rack hookup

12milluz

This is a little difficult to explain, but I have a question. I just purchased a MOTU 8pre. I know all the inputs are on the back of the unit. I want to make a panel with the jacks on the front, then run cables in the rack to the back of the unit. My question: There are combo jacks on the 8pre. Are the 1/4" and xlr wired in parallel or differently? Would making this panel just be a matter of making the panel with an XLR and 1/4" (or buying a combo jack) for each channel, wiring those in parallel, and running the cable back into the 8pre as 1/4" or XLR? Thanks guys!

Yeah...that's all you need...though I don't see how you will plug in both an XLR and a 1/4" into the MOTO in order to bring both out to the panel...?

I never opened up or used combo jacks in my gear...so I'm not sure how exactly they are wired and if you need seperate wires for the XLR and 1/4" wires...???...or if the 2pin/hot/ground of the XLR also serves as the Tip/Sleeve of the 1/4".

Is it a TR 1/4" pr a TRS 1/4"...?

Yeah...that's all you need...though I don't see how you will plug in both an XLR and a 1/4" into the MOTO in order to bring both out to the panel...?

No, I wasn't trying to bring both out. My question was by just going out either xlr or 1/4" (I haven't decided which I'll use) are they just wired in parallel or is there a different signal path. I assume they are just in parallel but you know what happens when one assumes...:D I was then going to put on the front panel a 1/4" and XLR wired in parallel going back into the MOTU either as XLR or 1/4", And its a 1/4" TRS.

Take a look inside the MOTU and see what you got. I'm not sure if there is some absolute wiring standard for combo jacks.
It might work the way you want to do it...but then, why not just put combo jacks on the panel also instead of seperate XLR and 1/4"...?

Back