Rack power safety

OscarVelour

Hello all! I have another question about my rack...

Got it all working pretty nicely but don't like having all my gear powered separately so I bought a rack mount power supply. I had a couple of prerequisites which made it difficult to find one that suited me but I found a Samson powerstrip ps10 which fits the bill. (As an aside, why do so many rack power strips have their sockets on the face of the unit instead of the back? I don't want all the wires having to come out the back of my rack to plug into the front on my power supply?). The only problem is all my rack gear has standard UK plugs and this power supply has female IEC C14 sockets.

My idea is to buy a few of the wireable connectors from the link below, cut off the standard uk plugs and wire them up to these.

The thing I want to pick some people's brains about is whether this is safe? My Samson powerstrip has a 10amp push to reset fuse built in, will this be enough? I'm aware that getting rid of the UK plugs will get rid of the fuses that are inside them and I want to make sure I'm not damaging my gear or creating a fire hazard!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Perfectly safe Oscar so long as you do the job right! Make sure for instance that there is a low, <1 Ohm, resistance from the main 13A plug to every bit of kit that needs an earth.

Ten amps is 2.3kW and it is very unlikely that the power draw of all your kit comes close to that. In fact I would bet you could put a 5A fuse in the plug* and never have it blow? Certainly 10A never will. Think of the old "Hi Fi separates" rigs of yesteryear? Amp, turntable, OR deck, cassette deck. Nobody had enough 13A sockets! They used diss strips or indeed connector systems very akin to what you propose. I did very similar yonks ago.

*In fact if you still have a slight worry you could do that.

Dave.

Its recommended to use a vibrational feeder..with music gear..

Cannot beat Furmans power conditioer with voltage regulation. It maintains 120 volts or whatever you set, with a built in automatic variac. In one rack space nonetheless..

Screenshot 2024-04-04 162810.jpg

Whilst I am sure that Furman unit is first class, for that money you might as well buy a continuous conversion UPS? That will give you a stable mains supply with the added benefit of around 20 minutes 'backing up time' should the mains fail.

Dave.

That's crazy money, and as virtually all modern gear is happy from the US 110 or so to the UK 240 or so, it's pointless. Why would anyone need such stabilisation nowadays? I love the advert "the problems caused by AC line voltage irregularities" - er, what problems?

Back