making a rack??

mm2k5

1) I dont really know where to post this...lol
2) I know this site has one thing about making a rack

Ok, now the question. Has anyone ever made a rack with a top rack as well? I recently picked up a peavey rack mixer but its too deep for most premade racks. I like the idea of the pop-ups but i dont know how hard it will be. I'm wanting it to have lids as it will be portable. I play on making 12u top/12u bottom. Thanks everyone!

I would also like some pointers on making a rack, but I imagine all you'd really need to do is look at some pictures of racks and then head over to Home Depot and see what you can find. They're not especially complicated. I think you could just buy the corner parts from Home Depot, then stick some feet on the bottom and screw in some wood shelves to keep it all together... I haven't tried that yet, tho, so there could be more to it.

You could check out the Argosy specs on their website - I believe they post them all, somewhere. If you can't find them on the site, then sign up to receive their brochures (which sure is something to drool over) - the back of their brochures contain the dimensions and such. Beyond that, you'd have to research your own construction techniques.

It shouldn't be too hard, I made a single rack-bay following someone else's specs on this forum (which followed Argosy's). It turned out rather nice - made from maple plywood, then just buy the steel rack rails off of Sweetwater or wherever you prefer. Screw and glue.

Goodluck,
Ryan

I posted a thread two weeks ago when I built a new rack.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=254161

The 4 attached pictures give you the basic dimensioning that I used. Bear in mind that if you require a taller unit the more attention you have to pay to where the center of gravity is. My rack was a bit top heavy without the amplifier I have sitting at the bottom storage area. A word to the wise! Be careful. It’s mandatory that as the rack height increases the front to rear dimension should increase also.

Sorry, but I don’t have a part number for the swivel casters that I purchased at Home Depot. The wheel diameter is 2”, but as I noted, when you mount the wheels….allow for the swing radius.

One other thing….I went the cheap route by simply screwing the wood together. If I were to build a rack for someone else I would have routed grooves for the wood pieces to fit together. I was in hurry to get it done!

In addition to the pics I saw at Homestudioguy’s site I also came across this site which gave me another perspective on rack design. Take a look at all the different rack configurations that site offers and how the width varies in relation to height..

http://www.nice-racks.com/Nice_Racks_Studio_Racks-Slanted_Studio_Racks.html

Sketches of my rack:

NewRack5.jpg

NewRack6.jpg

NewRack7.jpg

NewRack8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back