Made in China

Anyway, I'm off to do something more meaningful, like watch my big ol oversized excessive probably chinese made TV. :D

I'll catch ya later dainbramage. :)

What exactly have you had to fight for?

I had to fight.....for my right.....to party!

Oh yeah, the generations that came before you took care of that and you get to sop the gravy while justifying and accepting practices in foreign countries that are banned in your country.

I've seen some ridiculous counter arguments before but yours takes the crunch. What have you done? My dad's bigger than yours. Pathetic!

I don't justify anything because I don't need to. Like Greg, I don't give a flying rats ass about 'other people' in the world. I care about me and mine. I don't accept these 'practices in foreign countries' because, wait for it, I couldn't give a flying rats ass. My gravy is fine :D I'm sure Teddy Wong doesn't care that I've only had two holidays this year.

Banned as the practices may be over here in Blighty, they are actually rife and the funny thing is, the factories are never short of workers. If conditions are that bad as the media would lead us to believe when they expose one of these 'unacceptable factories' then, in this country, you would expect the factories to be empty. But no, mouths to feed, etc.

Long live the fucking Queen. :rolleyes:

F**K the Old Bean, you can have her for a 5er. :thumbs up:

I had to fight.....for my right.....to party!

I've seen some ridiculous counter arguments before but yours takes the crunch. What have you done? My dad's bigger than yours. Pathetic!

I don't justify anything because I don't need to. Like Greg, I don't give a flying rats ass about 'other people' in the world. I care about me and mine. I don't accept these 'practices in foreign countries' because, wait for it, I couldn't give a flying rats ass. My gravy is fine :D I'm sure Teddy Wong doesn't care that I've only had two holidays this year.

Banned as the practices may be over here in Blighty, they are actually rife and the funny thing is, the factories are never short of workers. If conditions are that bad as the media would lead us to believe when they expose one of these 'unacceptable factories' then, in this country, you would expect the factories to be empty. But no, mouths to feed, etc.

F**K the Old Bean, you can have her for a 5er. :thumbs up:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The lack of having actual skin in the game has led to much of the industrial decline and stagnation of wages in the developed world.

People take a 40-hour workweek for granted. They take industrial safety standards for granted. Productivity has soared here in the US and wages have been flat for over 30 years. People cry about raising the minimum wage because it will make a taco at Taco Bell cost a nickel more. It took 10 YEARS for the parent companies of Taco Bell and Mickey D and Burger King to accept a ONE-CENT increase per pound in what they were paying folks that picked their tomatoes.

LOL@ the will and the might of the people.

Anyway, I'm off to do something more meaningful, like watch my big ol oversized excessive probably chinese made TV. :D

I'll catch ya later dainbramage. :)

Yeah man, enjoy your zombification. IMHO it would be much more meaningful if you went rocking that big ol oversized excessive and probably chinese made AND awesome Marshall stack of yours ;)

Yeah man, enjoy your zombification. IMHO it would be much more meaningful if you went rocking that big ol oversized excessive and probably chinese made AND awesome Marshall stack of yours ;)
I know for certain my Marshall's are made in the UK by inbred limeys. :)

Selective quoting when you remove the context just makes you look dumber.

You have what? A car? A girlfriend? A nasty rash on your pee pee?

I just re-read the thread. Everything was going really fast having to reply to posts from all kinds of people, so I overlooked it. What I meant was that I have in fact been around in South America (mainly Bolivia and Argentina) and since this is a topic that interests me a lot, I have been discussing these issues. I must admit I have not been in China, but I have discussed this with a lot of people in Taiwan who seem to have the same view that I do.

I started reading this thread, then noticed how many pages there were. Realizing that I was never going to change anyone's opinions anyway, especially not Greg's, combined with the fact that I have pretty severe ADD, I skimmed a little then skipped to the end.

There are two things I'd like to say, only one of which is of any real importance:

1) It would appear that I am of the same ilk as the Norwegian.

2) Where in the hell can I get a hemp guitar? To the best of my knowledge, I don't have one of those, and that is a situation that is unacceptable. Now, I may have an acoustic with some hemp residue in the body cavity...

This thread bored me by page 2, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I worked at Target for 5 years, most of that time selling electronics. Talk about the center of selling Chinese made stuff. People always bitched and complained about the stuff that it was all made in China. And you know what I realized? People truly do want to buy American made products, but at Wal-Mart prices. And guess what wins out? Money. People can have good intentions but consumerism wins.

I'm definitely for products made in safe quality workplaces, but it is next to impossible to buy anything anymore that's not made in China. It is sad, yes, but the reality is, good luck working around that. And as far as my opinion, I really don't care where its made in the world (I'm not a patriotic fatso) but if the product is built well, then I'm happy.

Acceptible conditions means better than this:

Workers in Chinese Apple factories forced to sign pledges not to commit suicide | Mail Online

And so on. Many people here seem to believe Asian people somehow don't get overworked the way we would. I have spoken to people firsthand, mainly from Taiwan, who disagrees. And there are countless reports showing how you seem to overestimate the capacity of people just because they've grown up in different cultures and locations than you.

lol @ liberals quoting the Daily Mail....:laughings:

I just re-read the thread. Everything was going really fast having to reply to posts from all kinds of people, so I overlooked it. What I meant was that I have in fact been around in South America (mainly Bolivia and Argentina) and since this is a topic that interests me a lot, I have been discussing these issues. I must admit I have not been in China, but I have discussed this with a lot of people in Taiwan who seem to have the same view that I do.

I've been to Bolivia. Their main export is copper and tin. They dig it out of the ground and without it the country would be fucked more than it already is. During my stay there the miners were striking so the companies that bought the tin turned to India for their supply. Bolivian miners starved and begged for their jobs back at the previous rates.

Argentina I have also traveled in. I have a lot of family there. It is by no means a third world country and their problems stem from a culture of corruption. It is one of the most resource rich countries in the world and if the labour force there got to do a days work the country would be rich. They don't they would rather bitch like you and expect to be handed a living.

These Taiwanese you speak of are expats I'm guessing because in the 90's when working conditions were lower than today in their country I was there advising on setting up production plants and processes for building musical instruments and the work ethic and desire to work was 100%. People were hungry to learn and hungry to work.

Now as I say get yourself to these places and take a look for yourself because only then will you have a balanced opinion on it. Also join Amnesty International as I suggested then maybe you can make some real difference where it is genuinely needed. Things are not perfect in the world anywhere and it is easy to find things to bitch about instead of getting on with shit and bettering your lot. There are real human rights issues that get ignored because of baby assed pissing about this stuff.

Everything about our lives is a bitter contradiction. You don't have to like it, but I think it's important to face the reality of the situation.

My amp's made in China. My guitar in Mexico. If either of these things were made in the UK then they would have cost 10 times more. Maybe more.

So you'd think the solution is for us to work more so that we can buy things at 10 times the price.

Say we're working as many hours as the guy in China now, so that he can get paid fairly and have some holidays & sick pay. Perhaps he might even get to work a little less.

Nah, he wouldn't get any of that, I assure you. Tell you who would earn more and work less, his BOSS. In the factory they'd all still be slaving it up 80 hours a week for £1 a day while the profits of Fender, Apple, whoever, continued to grow.

Corporations & capitalism - the building blocks and rulers of our world and global economic system. You can't fight it, you can only escape it by living in the middle of nowhere making amps out of trees and stones. Good luck with that. :D

Doesn't really matter which country has the upper hand, it's true to say that we've got it right now, but if we didn't, someone else would. When things get really good for everyone in China, things will likewise become really shit somewhere else. Some country will be ready to provide them with the cheap stuff they want to buy. It already is heading that way.

Where do you think China gets all the resources from to make all these things for us so cheaply? I know a lot of the recycled resources used in our electrical equipment comes from Africa. Those poor kids are being poisoned by taking apart our old shit to get the mercury, copper...whatever they can salvage to sell back to the manufacturers. What else would they do with it?

There always has to be an underdog. The capatilist system is all about one having more than the other. I don't even think China's the biggest underdog in the equation right now. They're not doing that great compared to us, but they are doing a lot better than others.

Back