Mackie Big Knob

taylorguitarman

I've been reading up on this thing and I'm wondering how much "coloring" it actually does to the monitoring chain. It has all of the connections I'm looking for and I really like the gain control abilities. I'm building a home studio in my basement and I'm looking to hook it up to my PC, AW16G, turn table and CD player (all of the connections it has) and running my BX8's, and Monitor One's and possibly a sub when I get one (I'm researching them right now). For my home studio would the Big Knob be transparent enough for me. Would I even be able to tell with the gear I have?

I'd go for the Presonus Central Station with remote over the Mackie - as a matter of fact, I did!

Aside from the potential sonic coloration, the other downside to the BK is that you have to run all your cables over to wherever you place the unit - by contrast, the Presonus unit is rack-mounted so cables are mounted conveniently and a single cable connects the remote -- no tangled mess of cables near your workspace.

And it's probably a good idea to stay the heck away from them, lest your mixes come out sounding like all holy hell ... all because you used a Big Knob to switch from your nearfields to your midfields. :D

A search for the topic at had would have yielded some results to answer the questions presented by the original poster. I should know...I've searched for it. ;)

UB802 said:
So are you saying that when you used the monitoring section of your Mackie Console that is was potentially coloring what you were hearing?

That could explain why your mixes sucked ass!

But in the end, I am sure that this Big Knob is not going to provide "coloration" that is going to ruin your listening experience.

If the product fits what you NEED, get it. I am sure it works quite well.
Who IS this guy :confused:

Back