M30 Mess Up; Need Advice.

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
The M30 is one of my favorite little mixers. Great sound, a smart set of features, not fancy but easy to use & small footprint, belying it's actual weight ;)

Anyway, I had 4 of these beauties and have sold 3 of them, leaving one disassembled with some known issues on 3 different boards. I eventually put it all back together yesterday, then ran into another problem, more or less self inflicted that I feel really stupid about & having added to the list of fixit items already on this board.

I was using a 1/4"(f)-XLR(m) adapter to plug 1/4" sources into the XLR mic preamps, for the most part with good results. However, I hit a huge snag. Cut the the chase for ya that 1 out of my 3 adapters had a fatal flaw. On my 2 good adapters, I found Pin 2(Red), Pin 3(Black) and Pin 1 tied to chassis ground. On my 1 "bad" adapter I found Pin 2(Red), Pin 3(white this time/not black), but Pin 3 tied to Pin 1 and also to Chassis Ground. :/

Cut even more to the chase, not to bore you with details, but as I went thru testing the channels this way,... each time I plugged that one adapter to the XLR input, no output/thruput, and it absolutely blew the mic preamp for that channel. I blew 2 channels that way before removing and excising the culprit,... the bad adapter.

Not sure where I got that wayward adapter, caus the ones that work seem to have been hand wired by me, and the bad one seems to have been an OTC prefab store bought adapter.

Having 2 more blown channels in the wink of an eye, I just would like some repair advice, if possible. If I've shorted pins 3 and 1 to chassis ground on an M30 mixer and have blown up the preamp, is there anyone who can point me in the schematic to the possible chip that may have blown,... and/or explain how I'd test these cards methodically, as they are embedded in the chassis with a wiring harness and I have no extender card as of yet or any way I know of yet to pull the card into isolation to really test it properly.

Not sure if anyone can look at the schematics with me & point me in the right direction with some tips. I know there are some component level wiz kids on this board, as well as a couple former TEAC techs. Any help would be appreciated.

In the meantime I'll use this mixer as a 6 channel unit, and I've corrected the flaw in the adapter that caused this issue. Not very pleased to have gone down this road, but it's my intention to fix it myself if possible, as I don't have budget for actual TEAC service repair.

Thank you!!!!
:spank::eek:;)

Future yet to determine...

I think based on the cards being on a wiring harness connection that I may be able to connect up a card while it's laying flat up on top of the other cards & accessible for troubleshooting. Not ideal but workable. I wonder how the TEAC reps would do it, maybe with a proper extension harness?

Well, in a waiting pattern now but one thing at a time.

:spank::eek:;)

Back