M audio DMP3 advice? Should i get one???

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
Ive been recording things for a while now and im starting to get a good collection of equipment, however, i think its time i bought a preamp. Up until now i have been using the pres built into my Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire interface and my Behringer Ub802 mixer, i would just like to know if buying the DMP3 would give me better quality and if so how much? Ive read reviews saying it will but i need more convincing before i part with my cash. I can get one for around £100, is this really worth it?

I appreciate any help

Thanks

PS you can hear some of the stuff im currently producing with the pres i have now at www.myspace.com/onlyofyouuk

(some of these are quite old, ive got better since)

I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. I went from a Beh MX802 to the DMP3 and there was a significant improvement. The Beh sounded boxy in the lows and strident in the highs in comparison. The DMP3 also put a much better stereo image in the monitors. On acou guit, I also preferred the DMP3 over my Meek VC1Qcs. I also still use if for solo acou guit over my $1,200 Sebatron. These are just my preferences though.

I also switched from a Behringer MX series mixer to a DMP3 several years ago. It ranks as one of my better gear purchasing decisions.

I've never used the Alesis MultiMix interface. So I can't say how big of an improvement (if any) the DMP3 will bring over that one.

DMP3 is a very transparent, clean pre with plenty of gain and no noise (not audible to me anyway). But it won't do anything to add character or make something "sound better". If your Alesis interface has noisy/crappy pres then you will probably notice a difference. If things sound like they're supposed to then you probably won't.

Going from a Behringer to a DMP3 would probably be pretty significant and very noticeable. But going from an already-decent interface to a DMP3 probably won't.

I used to have a Behringer UB2442fx, Soundcraft M8, Focusrite Trakmaster Pro and Studio Projects VTB1 and I preferred my DMP3.

I prefer my DMP3 over the built in pres of my M-Audio Mobile Pre and to that of the Art Tube MP. Which I just sold today. Part of a package deal as it was difficult at best to give the Art away. Although some of that is the better converters of my Delta 44.

About the only issue I've had is that the DMP3 has too much gain. When close micing my trombone I basically keep it at it's lowest setting. And I'm still in danger of over powering my soundcard if I play at my fullest. Although that was with a phantom powered LDC. My newer phantom powered SDC's have more headroom. And I'm sure it'll do fine with ribbon mics.

The DMP3 has better clarity / detail in what gets recorded over the Mobile Pre or Art MP. I can't really compare it to higher end preamps. But I'm not inclined to spend 5x's as much to see a minor improvement over my DMP3 anytime soon. To me the DMP3 is like a clear mirror, the Mobile Pre is like a mirror with a hint of fog on the edges. And the Art Tube MP is just a foggy mirror. The Art doesn't really sound bad per say, it just sounds like everything is in the other room even though you're close micing in the same room. Not to imply that the mirror in question is some super polished super mirror to start with.

Ive been recording things for a while now and im starting to get a good collection of equipment, however, i think its time i bought a preamp. Up until now i have been using the pres built into my Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire interface and my Behringer Ub802 mixer, i would just like to know if buying the DMP3 would give me better quality and if so how much? Ive read reviews saying it will but i need more convincing before i part with my cash. I can get one for around £100, is this really worth it?

Depends on how many tracks you typically record.

I wouldn't expect a huge improvement over the Alesis pres. The DMP3 has marginally better THD, but AFAIK, the Alesis has none of the characteristic boxiness or brittle highs that plague so many cheap pres, so you're not likely to have some huge night and day eureka moment by switching to the DMP3.

The Behri pres, by contrast... if you regularly use those to supplement the Alesis pres, then you'll notice a big improvement in clarity there.

if you'e looking to buy the best 2-channel pre for the money, then yes. you should get one. i think there are very few people who've used one who would say otherwise.

Put it this way:

If the 1/4" inputs were a bit wider, I would dump my girlfriend and marry the DMP3.

I named her Helen.

:eek:

I'm currently considering getting a DMP3. Been using a rubbish Yamaha MD4 as a mixer/pre for an age now and just want a direct plug - nice gain interface.

Still undecided between the DMP3 or a Studio Projects VTB1. My mate has a VTB1 and it's really neat. But I've heard better things about the DMP3. Maybe I'll get them both and have the best of both worlds.

?

I'm currently considering getting a DMP3. Been using a rubbish Yamaha MD4 as a mixer/pre for an age now and just want a direct plug - nice gain interface.

Still undecided between the DMP3 or a Studio Projects VTB1. My mate has a VTB1 and it's really neat. But I've heard better things about the DMP3. Maybe I'll get them both and have the best of both worlds.

?

I owned both at one stage. They are both excellent value for money but I found the DMP3 to be cleaner with less noise. When I opened up the VTB1 I found it had the same opamps as the cheap Behringer mixers where the DMP3 uses Burr Brown opamps (same found in a Grace 101 I believe).

Back