M-Audio Delta 10/10 vs. 10/10lt

lumstar

PCI vs. Firewire (was M-Audio Delta 10/10 vs. 10/10lt)

Other than the breakout box, are there any differences between the 10/10 and the 10/10lt?

Edit - I've changed the thread name to reflect the new direction it has taken.

Last edited:
The 1010 has no pres. The 1010LT has no usable pres.

The 1010 has balanced inputs. The 1010LT has... inputs.

The 1010 has electrolytic caps that eventually explode. The 1010LT has electrolytic caps that you wish would explode. :)

The 1010 has converters in an external enclosure. The 1010LT has converters an inch away from your electrically noisy GPU. :D

If you're buying a new interface, I'd steer clear of both of them, honestly. They are fairly old technology, and IMHO, at least with the 1010LT (and probably, by extension, the 1010), the sound quality just isn't up to the same standards as newer interface designs (e.g. pretty much any of the FireWire interfaces out there).

I'll save my anti-PCI rants for the computer forum. :)

Hi DG,

I'm wondering why you dislike pci so much. From a specs point of view, it should be much better since PCI has a about 1Gbps bandwidth and firewire has only 0.4Gpbs.

This means pci interfaces should be faster and have less latency. I agree they don't give you much flexibility in terms of moving between a laptop and desktop but I don't plan on that anyway.

Why don't you like PCI? (anyone else feel free to join as well since I am deciding on a new interface and am open to all options).

Thanks!

I would just like to say that I have been using the 1010lt for a few years now and it works great. I don't get any noise from my computer. I have used the 1010 version and it did the job nicely as well. But for the money difference, I prefer the LT.

I also have 2 delta 1010's and I have been quite pleased....the only other card that I have used is a Terratec EWS88MT. I only use the delta converters for tracking drums and thats just because I need all the channels....I track everthing else using a Lucid 2 channel AD converter into the delta's s/pdif

For 6 years I used 3 1010's and a big analog board (A&H SABRE). They were what I could afford at the time and I was used to the big console and all the outboard gear attatched to it. Worked great for me, It was the best hybrid setup I could dream of.

Last year I ditched the lot in favour of a Yamaha N12 firewire mixer and started doing all my processing via 4 UAD-1 cards. The convertors in the N12 are leaps and bounds in front of the Deltas. I agree with the guy saying the 1010s are old technology - caps do explode in them and the power supplies have a tendency to go aswell.

Don't M-audio have a new 26 i/o firewire device?

I'm still using the same mics and same monitors, but changing to the N12 took away the pre's on my A&H and the convertors in the 1010's and my mixes have cleaned up x10. I couldn't believe the clarity when I ran mixes from the old setup through the convertors on the N12 :eek:

I have just recently picked up the Lucid that I mentioned earlier...I havent even had any serious sessions with it so im eager to see what those converters will be like in comparison to the delta's...like I said before, Ill still be using delta's for drums but I still expect to see a nice difference....

Back