Low recording signals... Why?

Chalkdust

Hi

I can hardly get my Focusrite Trackmaster Pro to register any signal on the meter whether input, output or compressor. I am plugging in a Shure SM57 directly into the front panel, which Should be ok, surely no need for any pre amp before the TMP which is a channel strip in itself and has its own pre amp built in.

Strangely, the actual level that ends up in Logic via Duet seems fine. So what is going on here, perhaps the meter is dud?

Has anyone got the model, or perhaps can spot what I am missing here?

Thanks

HI
I used both Rode NT1 / XLR and Shure SM57/Line; I can get the meter to kick to about 16 (input) with the Rode which is better than the SM57 as expected, but this with the preamp cranked to 8 .... that can't be right. In addition the meter is very hard to see, should it be backlit? I think I may have bought a dud.

The meter(pge 7) is not the usual "vu" type, it is marked in dBFS and 0dBFS corresponds to an output of +22dBu, about 10volts rms. Considering that you should be running an average signal level of -18dBFS this WILL be low on the scale!

Reading the manual some more tells me that there are internal jumpers to set "pro" and consumer levels. I would suggest you get manufactures advice before diving in and changing these?

Dave.

Back