Looking for used bass

hungovermorning said:
*Shudders* Lotta neat basses like a Teisco, Kent, or anything else MIJ in the 60s for that price.

hey man....what kind of bass you expect for $200 or less???

I have a Mako p-bass style that is in need of a new neck and pickups. It's playable as is, but in need of some love. I'd sell it to you for not much more than the cost of shipping.

What do you know about that Rondo Music site? Are the $109 basses any good? I'm looking for a inexpensive bass to record some stuff with.

rondo agile basses

I have been playing bass for 28 year I have had rickenbackers Ibenez (musician series) I have a fender HM4 now. I bought my son a agile series and I could not tell much difference then that of a new fender precision. you can get a bass and hard-shell case for $200 or less. I even bought him the Haffner copy. Their intonation is great.

I suppose like anything it's a crap shoot

but I can recommend the SX basses from Rondo. Tuners aren't the best and yes, it's a cheapo, but better than most Squires, unless you go to their Vintage Modified series, where they just feel more structurally solid. But I actually far prefer the sound of my SX P and small scale P to my Squire VM fretless J with 'Duncan Designed' :rolleyes: pickups. Of course, that may be apples and oranges between a P and a J, too, but I'm going to order a J or two soon, so I'll post my findings in the guitar forum when I do.

Depends a little on what kind of sound you want, also.

And consider the source. My tastes rarely run with the majority around here. :o

I have played the Agile's and the SX's. I have to say that it must be a crapshoot.

I have never played an Agile that seemed even close to solid or well built, on the otherhand, every SX (bass and guitar) that I have played felt great. I have since purchased 3 SX axes. I will say that the electronics are basically shit, so you will have to upgrade there, but the wood, fret and craftsmenship on them is great.

The best upgrade I made to my SX bass was putting a BaddAss bridge on it.

The guys at Rondo can sometimes come off as being rude, but they are real stand up guys. I had a UPS shipping problem with one unit I bought from them and they absolutely made sure I was satisfied.

jdier said:
I have played the Agile's and the SX's. I have to say that it must be a crapshoot.

I have never played an Agile that seemed even close to solid or well built, on the otherhand, every SX (bass and guitar) that I have played felt great. I have since purchased 3 SX axes. I will say that the electronics are basically shit, so you will have to upgrade there, but the wood, fret and craftsmenship on them is great.

The best upgrade I made to my SX bass was putting a BaddAss bridge on it.

The guys at Rondo can sometimes come off as being rude, but they are real stand up guys. I had a UPS shipping problem with one unit I bought from them and they absolutely made sure I was satisfied.

You don't think your tuners suck? All the hardware is pretty cheesey, but I still like the sound and the feel of them.

I would think the Agiles would be better, since they're supposed to be a cut above the SX stuff. Most everyone I've ever talked to with Agile guitars has thought they were great as far as quality. If they'd just get the finishes I want in the particular guitars I want, I'd have a bunch of 'em.

notCardio said:
You don't think your tuners suck? All the hardware is pretty cheesey, but I still like the sound and the feel of them.

I would think the Agiles would be better, since they're supposed to be a cut above the SX stuff. Most everyone I've ever talked to with Agile guitars has thought they were great as far as quality. If they'd just get the finishes I want in the particular guitars I want, I'd have a bunch of 'em.

I think the bridges stink, but I have not had a problem with my tuners at all. The ones on my Strat came pretty loose, but I tightened them up and have been good since.

And I did not mean to say Agiles were not good, just that it is highly likely that quality varies greatly from guitar to guitar in either brand (although, all my SX's have been really solid)

Funny, of the three I have two came with absolutely no set up... strings rattling, intonation not even in the right ball park. The last tele I got must have been a floor model or return because it was set up PERFECT! I swapped the .009's for .010's, made a few small adjustments and I was set!

Back