Looking for solid state condenser mic suggestions. Priced : 200 - 300 $ (used)

Soulgolem

Hello, currently recording on an Intel Mac running both Mac OSX and Windows XP, going through a MOTU Ultralite interface.

Looking for a suiting solid-state condenser microphone for recording mainly my voice. I tried the MXL V69, but it didn't suit my voice very well, neither did it suit my acoustic guitar playing.

I was surprise how good a cheap behringer RMX8500 (copy of Shure SM-58) sounded, it seems to amplify the frequencies that suit my voice (think of Rufus Wainwright for the baroque pop listeners), but being that kind of mic, I'm missing out on a lot of details and warmth. I think it has a slight mid-hump, that might be what I'm looking for but I'm far from being certain, someone once mentionned the Rode NT1000 as capable of rending this characteristic but I've never tried it myself, just looking for suggestions.

I would prefer solid state, don't want to have to plug it (power), I have a neat portable rig going on, so this option could be useful in time. My price range is about 2-300 $ (in the used market) so the NT1000 being more than 300$ in store wouldn't be a problem if I can get it on eBay for two thirds of the price.

Thanks for the help.

If an SM58 knock-off sounds reasonably good on your voice, you'd probably like the sound of some of the cheap Chinese ribbons (Apex/Nady/ShinyBox).

Back