Looking for feedback/advice on my vocal mix (Iron Maiden cover)

aeldagrim

Hey guys,

This is my very first post here at HomeRecording.com. A few days ago I recorded my first Iron Maiden cover ever. I decided to give my own spin on "Wasted Years".

As most of you know, singing Iron Maiden is extremely hard. I'm not a professional singer, but I'm working on my vocals almost every day and I would love to improve.

I found the backing track on youtube and it sounds pretty good. Regarding the vocals they were recorded in my bedroom with a rode NT1-A. I have no idea how to mix the vocals
properly and I would love some feedback on what I did. There is no doubling of tracks and no tricks used to phatten up the vocals. I added a pretty standard compressor and also a tad
reverb. I also used something called boost11 (sonar cakewalk plugin effect). I know I should probably also used some kind of equalizer and delay but I have no idea how to use the delay
properly. When I add it and play with it it just sounds very bad. Regarding the equalizer I have no idea how to use it properly so I just left it out.

If anyone here have some free time on their hands and know how to improve my vocals, give it more punch and power, let me know. It would be cool with some studio magic to make me
sound good. I could upload the backing track and vocals if anyone would like to play with it.

Well, thanks for your time. I will definitely spend some time on this forum in the future.

Cheers from Northern Norway !!! :-))

/Trond

Use the MP3 Mixing Clinic section of the forum if you want feedback on your mixes.
Use the Singing and Vocals section of the forum if you want feeback on your vocals.

Note that to get responses, you've got to participate and give feedback toothers, too.

I scrutinized that and couldn't determine it's the same person. Different countries, etc. I think one copied from the other.
Ah, could be. Maybe he didn't know how to word his thread, saw the other one, and went with that. Kind of weird, same thread title, same opening line more or less, etc......Anyway whatever, just found it peculiar. :)

Hello to Northern Norway!

Not my kind of music, but the style was when it originally played in the 70's.

You may want to focus on holding those long notes. It is harder than most people realize, but sustaining those notes is what makes or breaks the vocals. I can't do it so I drop them short.

Overall the vocals were pretty good, just focus on maintaining pitch when they are extended. The other vocal parts seemed to hit pretty decent. You may even want to strike a sustained note and practice holding it. You get that part right (sustained note), then the rest is pretty easy.

Keep going man.

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply. Now let me clarify this. I was just lazy and picked a similaer thread title. We are definitely not the same guys. I had to check out that other guy's thread, but the music he's doing is really not my cup of tea. Personally I'm more into oldschool 80's heavy/power metal.

DM60, thank you so much for your feedback. It's much appreciated. I'm practising on my vocals every day. I have a big musical project where we're working with some of the best vocalists in the business (within our genre at least!) and I have a dream to one day sing on a future album. But first I have to improve my voice. Iron Maiden is definitely very good for practising.

Last night I recorded another Iron Maiden cover song. Please check out my take on Flight Of Icarus and comment if any of you have some free time on your hands.

This time I got a friend to mix in my vocals properly. I would love some feedback on the vocal mix. Personally I think the vocals sounds a little weak. I know I'm no Bruce Dickinson but I think it's possible to get a much better recording with my NT1-A. I know this guy who just recorded the same song with the same equipment and it sounds so much better. He's a professional singer though, but still.... I would love to know what he's doing to have his vocals shine like this... You can check out his cover version from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSAAXmNEbE

Cheers,
Trond

PS! I will do my best to be an active homerecording.com user and I will definintely read threads and also give people feedback as well... :-))

Back