Looking for an SG...

It's cool Greg, I'm just trying to make sure I'm gonna like those p'ups before I drop the coin on the guitar....You remember how I went on & on asking different shit before buying my LP don't ya??? Lol....same thing dude....:facepalm:.

And FWIW, the single coil p'ups I do have right now, I hate them for anything but a clean/clean-ish tone. I'm expecting when I plug the SG I end up buying into my amp, it'll have balls/meat/chunk to it, if not, it's not gonna stay...:D.
Lol. I don't think you'll regret it, but if you're looking for searing gain, EVH noodley-doos, and death chunk palm mutes, P-90s are not the pickups for that. You already have guitars to do that stuff. If the idea is a new tone to play with, the P-90 SG is perfect. All those classic rock bluesy riffs you like? A P-90 SG can bark those things out no problem. An SG is already a punchy guitar due to it's style and construction, which will help a P-90 sound more aggressive than it already is. And SGs are a breeze to play. Tons and tons of fantastic rock and roll has been made with P-90s. Probably more than you think. They're not timid little single coils. I'll make you some comparison clips today for the tone thread. I'll use my hot-humbuckered Angus SG vs my P-90 SG.

And so I don't start another thread, what do you know/think about the Marshall 425/Vintage Modern cabs??? The stock speakers in those cabs are Greenbacks, right???
Yup, those cabs are bad ass. Greenback 4x12s. My lead guitar guy got one recently and his tone improved a lot over those dumb K-100s he was using.

Miner, do you own a guitar with a coil tap? This could be just the tonal option that you need.

Also, if you're not sure exactly what you want why not try an Epi? You could have some fun swapping out different pick up options and trying different electronics

You don't have many options with a P-90 guitar. You can't just decide to throw a standard humbucker in there because the P-90 requires a different body cavity. You gotta do some wood cutting.

You don't have many options with a P-90 guitar. You can't just decide to throw a standard humbucker in there because the P-90 requires a different body cavity. You gotta do some wood cutting.
Ah, that's a pain. What about those big soap bars? are they interchangeable with a standard humbucker?

I came close to buying a PRS with soapbars (and dot fret markers) a few years ago. That played really nice and sounded good. No fancy adornments on it either. It was also really cheap.

Ah, that's a pain. What about those big soap bars? are they interchangeable with a standard humbucker?

I came close to buying a PRS with soapbars (and dot fret markers) a few years ago. That played really nice and sounded good. No fancy adornments on it either. It was also really cheap.

The "soapbar" is a P-90....or equivalent. You basically have two types of P-90s.

Soapbar:
p901.jpg

These are called soapbars because they look like bars of soap. Pretty self explanatory. No mounting rings. The screws go through the pickup straight into the guitar or sometimes there's a small bracket in the pickup cavity.

And you have the "dog ears"...
mubriv.jpg

Again, pretty self explanatory. There is a bracket underneath the pickup cover.

Neither style will readily swap out for a humbucker.

And that white SG is fucking bad ass. That might actually be a Melody Maker, but all the same, it's bad ass.

Miner, do you own a guitar with a coil tap? This could be just the tonal option that you need.

Yeah Jdude, my LP has coil taps on both p'ups, but I never use 'em because I personally think they suck in single-coil mode. The Ibanez I have sorta has it, when the 5-way switch is in the 2nd position, I get the front coil of my bridge along with the middle, but I don't care for that either really dude....

Also, if you're not sure exactly what you want why not try an Epi? You could have some fun swapping out different pick up options and trying different electronics

I'm sure Epi's are great guitars Jdude, but I want a Gibson man. I almost bought an Epi when I got my LP, but held out for a Gibson, & I'm really happy with it...

Lol. I don't think you'll regret it, but if you're looking for searing gain, EVH noodley-doos, and death chunk palm mutes, P-90s are not the pickups for that. You already have guitars to do that stuff. If the idea is a new tone to play with, the P-90 SG is perfect. All those classic rock bluesy riffs you like? A P-90 SG can bark those things out no problem. An SG is already a punchy guitar due to it's style and construction, which will help a P-90 sound more aggressive than it already is. And SGs are a breeze to play. Tons and tons of fantastic rock and roll has been made with P-90s. Probably more than you think. They're not timid little single coils. I'll make you some comparison clips today for the tone thread. I'll use my hot-humbuckered Angus SG vs my P-90 SG.

Right man, I've got my high-gain shit covered & then some with the LP/Ibanez, & I've been wanting a fuckin' SG since you bought your Angus sig & posted pics of it way back when....It's all your fault Greg, you're the one who got me started with all this Marshall & Gibson nonsense, I blame it all on you dude...:laughings:.

Plus I've found myself using less & less gain over the course of a couple years, dunno if you've noticed or not, but a bunch of my tones a way less gain-y than they used to be. I used to use it for lots of sustain, but since I use more volume now, I get pretty much the same sustain, with a hell of a lot more clarity...

Yup, those cabs are bad ass. Greenback 4x12s. My lead guitar guy got one recently and his tone improved a lot over those dumb K-100s he was using.

That's what I thought, & I also thought I had one lined up for $500, but it's gone now, & the cheapest one I've seen is about $750-800, not including shipping, so scratch that one for now....I'm gonna get a B-cab to sit under my A because it'd give me more room than having 'em side by side, plus it'd look cooler having a fuckin' full stack too....:D.

mubriv.jpg

And that white SG is fucking bad ass. That might actually be a Melody Maker, but all the same, it's bad ass.

Look at these SG's:

Black 60's Tribute

Blue SG Special

White 1962 SG Jr

I like all 3 of these, I actually love the blue color, but the last 2 posted here are getting outta the price range for me, especially the white '62....

Sorry for the whole-page post, just catching up for a few hours, I've got to go see the doc this morning & have no idea when I'll be back...

Greg: Be sure to post those clips sometime today dude, & grab 'em & put 'em in my folder over here...:).

That black one is probably what you'd want....never mind the hideous mirror pickguard and truss rod cover.

I've ALWAYS been a fan of SGs. It probably comes from Angus, but I'm not sure. I wasn't that big a fan of AC/DC back in my younger days. I mostly just liked them because the way they looked. Even back in my psychobilly days. Everyone wanted or used a Gretsch or a gigantic Gibson or Guild hollowbody. Not me. I caught a lot of flack for liking and using SGs. They're way easier to play, and I wasn't going for period-correct 50s sound anyway. We were called "psycho"billy for a reason. Punk rock tones with a 50s rockabilly style and feel. WTF do I want a Gretsch for? A big, honking, hard to play, fragile feedback machine? No thanks. Back then SGs were way out of favor with pretty much everyone, so were Les Pauls, and they could be had for nothing. You remember the 80s. No one played SGs or Les Pauls back then. Now they're cool again, so you gotta pay a little more. Les Paul the man may have hated the SG, but they're certainly way easier to play than his own namesake guitar.

That black one is probably what you'd want....never mind the hideous mirror pickguard and truss rod cover.

I've ALWAYS been a fan of SGs. It probably comes from Angus, but I'm not sure. I wasn't that big a fan of AC/DC back in my younger days. I mostly just liked them because the way they looked. Even back in my psychobilly days. Everyone wanted or used a Gretsch or a gigantic Gibson or Guild hollowbody. Not me. I caught a lot of flack for liking and using SGs. They're way easier to play, and I wasn't going for period-correct 50s sound anyway. We were called "psycho"billy for a reason. Punk rock tones with a 50s rockabilly style and feel. WTF do I want a Gretsch for? A big, honking, hard to play, fragile feedback machine? No thanks. Back then SGs were way out of favor with pretty much everyone, so were Les Pauls, and they could be had for nothing. You remember the 80s. No one played SGs or Les Pauls back then. Now they're cool again, so you gotta pay a little more. Les Paul the man may have hated the SG, but they're certainly way easier to play than his own namesake guitar.

Naw man, I like the cherry nitro finish way more than that, & it's only about $100 more...

I hate those hollow-body guitars, all of 'em. Would not buy one, ever, but that's just me....

And for the record, I hated LP's with a passion up until just a couple/few years ago, when I realized every humbucker guitar was trying to sound like one...I've always liked SG's though, probably because of Angus, but I've got some serious GAS for one now dude...:D.

Gotta run!!!

Yeah Jdude, my LP has coil taps on both p'ups, but I never use 'em because I personally think they suck in single-coil mode. The Ibanez I have sorta has it, when the 5-way switch is in the 2nd position, I get the front coil of my bridge along with the middle, but I don't care for that either really dude....

I'm sure Epi's are great guitars Jdude, but I want a Gibson man. I almost bought an Epi when I got my LP, but held out for a Gibson, & I'm really happy with it...
Fair enough, I knew some of the LPs had it - didn't realise that you did. I really like the single coil tones I get but I suppose its not for everyone!

Completely understand that it just wouldn't feel right if you held out for a Gibson - I was just thinking that if you're not entirely sure what you want its probably best to try a few first. In fact - you're probably best going along to a shop with the cash and spending some time trying a load of different guitars out until you find what yo ulike.

Fair enough, I knew some of the LP's had it - didn't realize that you did. I really like the single coil tones I get but I suppose its not for everyone!

Completely understand that it just wouldn't feel right if you held out for a Gibson - I was just thinking that if you're not entirely sure what you want its probably best to try a few first. In fact - you're probably best going along to a shop with the cash and spending some time trying a load of different guitars out until you find what you like.

Yeah Jdude, my LP is a 2014 model, it's got the coil-taps for both p'ups, plus the circuit board/quick connects on the p'ups.

I love how it sounds, feels & plays, but IMHO it looses all it's balls in single-coil mode (obviously). That's why I'm wanting a P-90 guitar, the Gerg & Rami both told me they like 'em, a lot, & I trust both of those guys' judgement, a lot...I'm absolutely positive if either of those guys told me I'd like/dislike something, it'd be right on the mark....

I'm wanting a little different tone than what my current arsenal offers, so the P-90 should do the trick. Plus, I've got GAS pretty bad for an SG too, I've wanted one for quite a while now, & I'll be able to buy one before too much longer....

And I'm not ragging on Epiphone guitars man, not at all, I'm betting there are Epi's out there that make my LP look, sound, & play like shit, but, I want a Gibson...

The only thing about me trying out a bunch of Gibson guitars is I'd have to drive about 3-4 hours one way to the closest shop that has a big selection of 'em. There are a couple/few places about half that far from where I live, but they're smaller shops, & they're just simply not big enough stores to have that many high-dollar guitars in stock...We'll see though...:).

I have a SG clone that came with crappy humbuckers (and everything else really) and so I put P-94 pickups in it. Those are Gibson's humbucker sized P-90 style ones.

I really can't say how they compare to real P-90s because I haven't done a comparison.

But I can say they're really high output - loads of copper. The sound great. I don't play the guitar very often (really needs new frets on top of the otherwise complete overhaul I did on it) but I always love the sound when I do.

Good-looking guitar, Minerdude. :) I see you just didn't have the conviction to step away from the humbucker after all! :D

Enjoy, mate. :)

Good-looking guitar, Minerdude. :) I see you just didn't have the conviction to step away from the humbucker after all! :D

Completely understand. I love the idea of a traditional washboard style tele with single coils... but I have three guitars with pairs of humbuckers.

Thanks Bubba, I debated on it for quite a while, & I still may throw some P-90's in there down the road. That guitar's rout will handle any pickup, except a dog ear P-90, & if I was gonna go the P-90 route, I'd want a set of Duncan P-Rails with the Triple Shot rings anyway...

Finally got a tracking #, supposed to be here sometime Tuesday....Can't wait!!!

Thanks Bubba, I debated on it for quite a while, & I still may throw some P-90's in there down the road. That guitar's rout will handle any pickup, except a dog ear P-90, & if I was gonna go the P-90 route, I'd want a set of Duncan P-Rails with the Triple Shot rings anyway...

Finally got a tracking #, supposed to be here sometime Tuesday....Can't wait!!!

I don't wanna rain on your parade, but I don't know if a triple-shot will work with that batwing pickguard. Triple-shots are pickup mounting rings by themselves. The batwing SG doesn't have mounting rings. You could put a P-Rails in there, but you'd probably have to use a mini-toggle or push/pull pots for the switching.

I thought about triple-shots for my Mosrite clone because that guitar has mounting rings, but they won't fit that guitar. Triple-shots are Gibson sized, my Mosrite clone's mounting rings Mosrite-sized - the Mosrite mounting rings are longer/wider than Gibson.

I don't wanna rain on your parade, but I don't know if a triple-shot will work with that batwing pickguard. Triple-shots are pickup mounting rings by themselves. The batwing SG doesn't have mounting rings. You could put a P-Rails in there, but you'd probably have to use a mini-toggle or push/pull pots for the switching.

I thought about triple-shots for my Mosrite clone because that guitar has mounting rings, but they won't fit that guitar. Triple-shots are Gibson sized, my Mosrite clone's mounting rings Mosrite-sized - the Mosrite mounting rings are longer/wider than Gibson.

I just assumed it'd all fit.....:facepalm:.

I'll have to wait & see what options I've got on the SG when it gets here before I make a decision. Plus, I may end up liking it so much, that I won't even mess with the p'ups. Have to wait & see...If this guitar is anything like my LP (as far as how much I like it), the only thing I may end up doing to it is changing the strings & playing it...:D.

But, I'm definitely not gonna hack that guitar up, maybe the pickguard, maybe not...And I don't know if this guitar is gonna be traditionally wired, or have the pcb thing like my LP does. I'm assuming it'll have regular pots/wiring, but, I also assumed the P-Rails & Triple Shot things would just "fit" too....:).

You could still do a P-Rails if you want. It will mount just like the humbuckers under the pickguard.

I bet, just guessing, your SG has the PCB. That's the direction Gibson has gone in with everything but the really high end stuff. But that's no big deal. That's one "advancement" Gibson has done that pisses people off but it's not nearly as bad as people make it seem. And you can very easily switch to traditional wiring if you want to.

You could still do a P-Rails if you want. It will mount just like the humbuckers under the pickguard.

Right, I know the p'ups will fit, just don't know about the Triple Shot thing. Just have to wait & see dude....

I bet, just guessing, your SG has the PCB. That's the direction Gibson has gone in with everything but the really high end stuff. But that's no big deal. That's one "advancement" Gibson has done that pisses people off but it's not nearly as bad as people make it seem. And you can very easily switch to traditional wiring if you want to.

I did some searching the day I ordered the guitar, & couldn't really find anything out. Some say they've got the pcb, some say it's regular wiring. But, to be honest, I like the pcb thing myself. I'd have to buy a few of the Molex connectors & a special crimping tool, but once I got the connectors on the p'up wires, a p'up swap could be done literally in minutes. Soldering 'em in doesn't really take that long either, it takes longer to "get ready" for the swap than it does the actual swap itself...

If all p'up companies would go to a "universal" connector system, it'd be great. But that'll probably never happen. Duncan has their's, Gibson has their own, etc...

Right, I know the p'ups will fit, just don't know about the Triple Shot thing. Just have to wait & see dude....
I just looked at SD's website. They don't have anything for a batwing SG. You're just gonna have to mount the pickups like the stock humbuckers and use a toggle or push/pull pots for switching. Those triple shots are for a guitar like your LP where the pickups mount into the body with a mounting ring. Your SG has a full pickguard so the pickups will mount underneath to the pickguard like a Strat.

I just looked at SD's website. They don't have anything for a batwing SG. You're just gonna have to mount the pickups like the stock humbuckers and use a toggle or push/pull pots for switching. Those triple shots are for a guitar like your LP where the pickups mount into the body with a mounting ring. Your SG has a full pickguard so the pickups will mount underneath to the pickguard like a Strat.

That's cool dude, I appreciate the heads-up...I'm gonna give a while before I decide to do anything to that guitar, but the P-Rails sure sound like they'd be great for lots of versatility....

That's cool dude, I appreciate the heads-up...I'm gonna give a while before I decide to do anything to that guitar, but the P-Rails sure sound like they'd be great for lots of versatility....

I think they're real good for the P-90 mode, they're good for the single rail mode...they're not that great as humbuckers IMO. Adequate, but not great.

Back