Looking for an SG...

minerman

Tonetard
Title pretty much says it all, I've saw a few online at GC, & some seem reasonable, but some seem kinda high priced too....

I'd possibly be throwing a set of Duncan P-Rails in it, so a set of those would add about $240 to the cost including the Triple Shot mounting rings. So if I went that route I could have all kinds of tonal options with it....

But, I've already got my LP, a couple strats (one with a 'bucker in the bridge), & an Ibanez w/Floyd/locking trem & 'bucker, so do you guys think I'd be better off finding an SG & do the mods, or just find one with P-90's & call it done???

Ok dude, you know I trust your judgement, myself I think this is a bit high on the price, I mean it looks great, but whadda you think about the price???

P-90 SG

No I think that's a pretty good price for that guitar. Keep in mind it's not a stripped down model. It's got nitro finish, neck binding, headstock inlays instead of screen print, etc. It's a full SG...but with P-90s and dot inlays. That's a good one. IMO a damn near perfect SG. Pete Towshend.

Sometimes I prefer my Epi SG with the P-90's over my real Gibson with humbuckers. I'm falling into a pattern where I almost always use the Epi/P-90's for my doubled rythm tracks, and the Gibson/Humbuckers for the "third" guitar track and leads.

Ok guys, thanks, I've been looking at this one too:

P-90 SG #2

But, this one is a stripped down version of the first link I posted, & it's only $70 cheaper. IMO, the first one looks like a great guitar, while the 2nd looks 2nd rate to me....I know it's a cosmetic/look thing, but $700 is $700....

I'm still not 100% convinced on the P-90's, simply because I've never tried 'em, & I'm a gain-y, humbucker guy, but again, I'm looking for a little different tone than what I've already got....

Not being a real guitarist, I might be talking out of my ass. But I think that, you can always turn down the volume on your guitar if you want to tame your humbuckers. But you can't turn your guitar past 10 (Unless you're Nigel Tufnel) and make the P-90's hotter.

So, I'm thinking that if you're only going to have on guitar, you're probably better off going with the humbuckers. But if you're going to have more than one guitar, why not have P-90's in one of them.

Not being a real guitarist, I might be talking out of my ass. But I think that, you can always turn down the volume on your guitar if you want to tame your humbuckers. But you can't turn your guitar past 10 (Unless you're Nigel Tufnel) and make the P-90's hotter.

So, I'm thinking that if you're only going to have on guitar, you're probably better off going with the humbuckers. But if you're going to have more than one guitar, why not have P-90's in one of them.

Right on man, you know, I've got 3 humbucker guitars, so I'd probably get along with the P-90's....I know Greg love's 'em, & you seem to like 'em an awful lot too....I may just say what the fuck & buy that thing....I've got the cash right now, but it might put me in a bind on the next round of bills, so I might need to wait a few weeks before I pull the trigger...if it's still there, that is, if not, I'd say there's a good chance I can find another one just like it....

Oh yeah, don't sell yourself short on your guitar skills Rami, I think you do great myself....

Yeah man. I think you'll like it.

As far as my guitar skills, my honest assessment of myself without any phony modesty or any of that is that I'm a really good guitar player for someone who's first instrument isn't guitar. I think I understand the instrument well and probably would have been a really good player if I started young as a first instrument. But if it was my main instrument, I'd consider someone with my skill an "OK" guitar player. I'd have to be a lot better to call myself a "real" guitar player.

Yeah man. I think you'll like it.

Yeah dude, & if I don't, I can always send it back...

As far as my guitar skills, my honest assessment of myself without any phony modesty or any of that is that I'm a really good guitar player for someone who's first instrument isn't guitar. I think I understand the instrument well and probably would have been a really good player if I started young as a first instrument. But if it was my main instrument, I'd consider someone with my skill an "OK" guitar player. I'd have to be a lot better to call myself a "real" guitar player.

You do play good man, but I can tell you're a true bad-ass on the drums, I knew you were good on 'em, but never realized just how good until you posted that video a few days ago...

I used to be a lot better guitarist years ago, but I actually went about 7-8 years without even picking one up...Now I'm just a hack who fucks around in a daw...:D.

The highest frequency that comes out of the guitar is about an octave lower with a humbucker than with a single coil, and there's quite a bit less resonance at that cutoff frequency. Turning down the V pot just makes it even darker unless it's got "treble bleed", which really turns the V pot into low shelf. That extra top isn't always what you want, but when you do there's no good way to replace it if it's not coming off the pickup to begin with. If it was only a volume thing, everybody would use humbuckers all the time because: duh.

You guys are talking about expensive guitars and expensive pickups, but I really like the GFS Dream180. It's like a compromise between P90 and HB, with all the same wiring options as the HBs, and sound pretty damn good to me.

Sometimes I prefer my Epi SG with the P-90's over my real Gibson with humbuckers. I'm falling into a pattern where I almost always use the Epi/P-90's for my doubled rythm tracks, and the Gibson/Humbuckers for the "third" guitar track and leads.
I don't want to hijack the thread but how do you pan the 3 different rythym guitar parts when recording?

I don't want to hijack the thread but how do you pan the 3 different rythym guitar parts when recording?
It's actually 2 guitar parts. 1 and 2 are the same part played twice. They're usually panned hard left and right. The "third" track is really the second guitar part, so it will go wherever it goes.

So generally, not 100% of the time, but most of the time, it's 2 guitar parts. One is doubled and panned, the other is the "lead" guitar, more or less.

Last edited:

What I'd do is pan 'em like 80 L/R, & one dead center. But I'd keep the centered guitar kinda low in the mix, & maybe automate it's volume to thicken up certain parts like a chorus, but that's me....FWIW, I've gotten completely away from panning my guitars 100% L/R, but in a situation with the 3 of 'em I might go back to that maybe....

Greg, Rami & everyone else may do something completely different....

And don't worry about hi-jacking the thread dude, it's all good...:)

But you can boost it with an overdrive.

Minerdude, you have a DSL which has more than enough gain within the amp to compensate for the slightly lower output of a P-90 compared to a typical modern humbucker. P-90s are single coils, but they're not the weak tinny screeching shrill sound of a Strat or Tele single. They have some meat to them, but they're very clear and give a defined sound.

Minerdude, you have a DSL which has more than enough gain within the amp to compensate for the slightly lower output of a P-90 compared to a typical modern humbucker. P-90s are single coils, but they're not the weak tinny screeching shrill sound of a Strat or Tele single. They have some meat to them, but they're very clear and give a defined sound.

It's cool Greg, I'm just trying to make sure I'm gonna like those p'ups before I drop the coin on the guitar....You remember how I went on & on asking different shit before buying my LP don't ya??? Lol....same thing dude....:facepalm:.

And FWIW, the single coil p'ups I do have right now, I hate them for anything but a clean/clean-ish tone. I'm expecting when I plug the SG I end up buying into my amp, it'll have balls/meat/chunk to it, if not, it's not gonna stay...:D.

And so I don't start another thread, what do you know/think about the Marshall 425/Vintage Modern cabs??? The stock speakers in those cabs are Greenbacks, right???

Miner, do you own a guitar with a coil tap? This could be just the tonal option that you need.

Also, if you're not sure exactly what you want why not try an Epi? You could have some fun swapping out different pick up options and trying different electronics

Miner, do you own a guitar with a coil tap? This could be just the tonal option that you need.

Also, if you're not sure exactly what you want why not try an Epi? You could have some fun swapping out different pick up options and trying different electronics

My main guitar has a coil split. Up till getting the JVM I found it enormously useful. It doesn't make my guitar sound like a Strat, but it really thins out the sound only with a corresponding drop in volume. I liked the sound very much but I can't help thinking that as P90 would be far meatier.

Back