Looking for an amp

musicsdarkangel

Well, I get paid for the community orchestra in may 500 bucks, I have an upright bass I can sell probably for at least 300-400, and my Line 6 AX2 which I'm not happy with.

My guess is it will all total up to around 1200, maybe more.

I am looking for a new amp, and I think that a good Peavey 5150 or Triple X would be great. But I've also wanted an acoustic guitar that works for a long time.

Any suggestions for budget amps? Suggestions for amps around the 1200 price range will be welcome too. I'm not sure what to do. Or is there a way I can make my Line 6 better? I know Vintage 30 speakers help a lot, but other then that, I don't know what to do.

Also, check out www.voodooamps.com, go to sound clips, at the very bottom is a 5150 mod, and it sounds excellent, very similar to Kris's sound of Darkest Hour. I'm thinking of maybe getting one and sending it to get modded by those guys.

P.S. I'm after a very full distorted sound, that can do metal well as well as melow clean parts.

musicsdarkangel said:

P.S. I'm after a very full distorted sound, that can do metal well as well as melow clean parts.

Two separate amps usually do that job better.

Fenders are known for clean and marshall dirty. and everything else in between

yeah vinatge 30's sound great .... they distort very easily.

the "do all" box amps will work... but the tone will be short of the real thing

Peavey

Check out the Peavey Transformer 212.. Has some nice editing software that works on the PC and you transfer to the amp via midi. You can shape your own sound this way. It is just a great amp in my honest opinion.

What about a Mesa/Boogie?

Aren't they pretty much the standard for in your face crunch and sparkly clean?

You can score one on ebay for about $800.

dude, I've tried the tripleXXX and I have never heard an amp with so much distirtion on hand. You won't need anything else and it has great tone. The clean is just that. you won't regret it. Pick up BBe sonic max on ebay for cheap and you'll have the biggest set of B***s ever.

Sort of

musicsdarkangel said:
Is it a tube amp? Sounds cool

It has some kind of Transtube technology that in my opinion give it a bit more warmth than your standard solid state. This way you have a tube like tone, without the hasles of tubes. I bought the Transformer 112 and have not been dissapointed since. I compared the 112 to the Line 6 Spider, Fender FM60 and Marshall AVT20 and walked out with the Peavey. Try one you will not be dissapointed..

Check the specs here:

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop...n/final/wc/1A1B211/fam/TT/c/1/transformer.cfm

I have a marshall mode 4 amp and Im extremely happy. I tried that and the triple rectifier and the marshall had more warm low end. Best thing to do Is go to a music store and just sit down and play thru the different heads. Everyone has a different opinion about heads so its hard to tell someone else what to buy.

What was the Question?

Did you want a budget $1200 guitar amp that performs heavy metal and also a quality acoustic guitar? Man, oh man this is so general that it's like throwing a dart at a billboard. Come on, get more specific or expose your punch line.

No, I just want a metal amp that does electric, but will work for clean as well as distorted sounds.

I don't want a straight up blues amp.

musicsdarkangel said:
I am looking for a new amp, and I think that a good Peavey 5150 ... would be great.

musicsdarkangel said:
Yeah I know of one selling for 700 right now, but I think the 5150 is too synthy.

Now I'm just confused...

Necromaniac said:
...Best thing to do Is go to a music store and just sit down and play thru the different heads. Everyone has a different opinion about heads so its hard to tell someone else what to buy.

Amen!!!

That said, I tried out a bunch of amps at my local Guitar Satan and elsewhere ...and for me the best amp out there for what I'm looking to do (Nu-Metal tones to warm clean) was the Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100. I have never owned a Marshall before, so it wasn't like I had any product affiliation to cloud my vision. I mated the head with a Mesa-Boogie Recto 4x12 cab, and man!!! What beautiful tones!!! I also have a Tech21 Trademark 10 amp for home recording and practicing. I love both amps and I feel like I can get any tone that I need.

It took time to go out and "try before u buy" to find the amps that had what I was looking for. You'll really have to go test a few amps and find the one that works for you, as it's all just a matter of preference and nothing more.

-mr moon

What are you going to be using this amp for? Are you playing with a band? If so, how many members. Are you going to have to compete with another guitar players rig? Is is for home, hobby playing purposes? There are numerous amps that will work for what you are describing. Maybe some more info?...

Mumbus
www.acidplanet.com/mumbus

P.S. I would shed the Ax2. I ditched mine. It is my understanding that the crap, no name speakers that they put in those can not be replaced. I saw it as a liability that needed to be released. FWIW, I am currently using a Digitech GNX3 with a fender M-80 chorus @ home, and the GNX with a Bose personal amplification system at practice. I can get sick metal and sparkling clean tones with both of those rigs.

Fender Cyber-Twin.

I've been using a Mesa/Boogie mark IV for well over 10 years now and didn't think I'd ever find anything I liked better.
For the past few months I've been able to play around with a friends Cyber-Twin and man, I love that amp!
Especially with a strat or a tele.

I would urge anyone that likes a nice strat sound to check one out.

But if metal's your thing go for the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier.

I totally agree Mumbus, and thanks Dogjazz, I'll look into that.

Mumbus, I'm playing with a band that consists of me on vocals, guitar, another guitarist, a drummer, and a bassist. (the typical band setting).

We play heavy to mellow to funk music.....but I don't have to have an SRV tone or anything, my priority is a nice rythm amp with singing leads.

I also record

With what Dogjazz said... I have also played a cybertwin. It sounded amazing at the low to medium volume I played with it at Guitar Center. I would be slightly concerned about how it would hold up in a gigging situation. It is very similar to the AX2, but more expensive. I found the AX2 had a hard time cutting through the mix. Regardless of tweaking settings.

I guess off of the top of my head right now, I dont have any amp suggestions. But, I did just by a Takamine acoustic electric from Music123.com, and I love it. It is an EG531SC and it came with a hardshell case for $400.00. Granted it doesnt sound as nice as a Martin or a Taylor, but is also much cheaper than those.

You might want to consider a line 6 pod or a GNX3 with a good clean tube amp. You can dial in just about any sound with those...

Just a suggestion,
Mumbus

Back