local metal band returns for 5 more songs.....METAL!!!

I hate metal but the recording sounds soooooo good! What kind of equipment did you use? The drums are really tight and sound nice specially the snare.

Great job.
Dave

The music is great...very good drums...nice and punchy. Great guitar tones..fit's the genre well. Vocals, well, they get a bit old at times...well done and recorded, but things started to run together at times. There were some times he could have used a bit of diversity to really make portions of the song shine through, but it's not bad...just gets a bit stale after 5 songs. All in all, good job all around...nice sounds, and actually pretty well performed. :D

i think it just needs more guitars in the mix or something to make the guitars more powerful. other then that its awesome

You've certainly been refining your skills.
Things seem well recorded but my ears have been metalled out of late so I won't listen closely enough to comment on individual instruments etc.
Well done.

DAS19 said:
I hate metal but the recording sounds soooooo good! What kind of equipment did you use? The drums are really tight and sound nice specially the snare.

Great job.
Dave

Im not a big fan of this particular style either, but it has grown on me....

on the drums, MK-012's overhead, Sennheiser e604's on all 4 toms and an e609 on the snare. Kick was triggered....it was the drummers trigger so I dont know what brain or trigger he used. All the drum mics went through an M-audio Octane and into an M-audio delta 1010. Guitars were 100% Behri Vamp and into the instrument input of the octane. Bass was mic'd with a 57 and a SP B1. I used 3 mics at once on the vox....2 sm57's and a SP C1.

Listened to Lucky.

Man, the playing is very impressive. And the recording and mixing is very impressive.

Around 2:13 when the slow part started, it was about time. Otherwise the constant yelling gets old really fast. :)

Vengeance.

Very nice start. Very nice recording and mixing dude.

The mixing on these is very very pro sounding as far as I can tell.

If the band takes suggestions, recommend that the singer occasionaly sing the verse and yell the chorus out. Otherwise, this is a perfect instrumental that gets distracted by the dude yelling into the mic. :)

i like it overall.
good job man

the only thing that is iffy is the snare....might be too boxy...reminds me of my boxy room :(

ehh what do i know...my ears are shot...

good job though ill be puttin this on my ipod :)

The snare and toms don't seem to be big enough, they actually sort of remind me of an old Black Sabbath sounding kit or something. Maybe some compression on the snare would help it and then go through and EQ so it stands out a bit more. Toms, could use a bit more high and low to them, that would probably help them out. The same area that gives that click to the kick drum is usually helpful on toms too. Kick drum seems appropriate and sounds good with the bass and guitar together...

Bass and guitar sound good to me for the genre. The screaming is mixed well...

Overall damn good job...

Alright taking a listen to 'Vengence' now.

Kit seems to be mixed well. Snare might be a little too low in the mix. Kick drum could be a bit thicker - it fails to cut through the mix at times, doesnt have enough bottom end. I really like the mixing you did on cymbals and toms. Even bring the toms up just a tad?

Vocals are mixed and recorded well.

Guitars sound alright. A little too much crackle in the high end. Could be a bit thicker, so more guitar tracks are a good idea. Solo doesnt really dominate enough either.

Bass is nice in the mix. No complaints.

Impressive stuff mate.

damn..I thought this thread had gone to the next page....thanks for the comments guys....I doubt Ill be doing much more to them now though since at this point...they are bought and paid for...but Ill hang on to the tracks ofcourse incase something comes up in the future...The work I have done for these guys has me booked up until Christmas though...now all of their friends are calling me.

thanks again....and keep'm commin....

The skill of the recordist is on par with the skill of the musicians, making this a successful project. Great job. The lead guitar solo in Vengence could use some reverb or delay in my opinion - just something to fatten it up and make it less dry.

FattMusiek said:
The skill of the recordist is on par with the skill of the musicians, making this a successful project.

There is definatly something to this.....I have done one project since this one and I am very disappointed. I used the same setup, but nothing sounds anywhere close to the same. The drums sound terrible....Im not a drummer...I cant tune them....and he didnt seem to be able to either....cymbals were way too harsh....and they were about 35 years old...dont know what kind they were....and the guitarists wanted to keep his gain set to 15 when 10 was as high as it would go....I go back and listen to the 5 songs in the first post of this thread to convince myself that Im not the problem....or maybe I just got lucky on this one....

What do you guys do when your final product just doesnt measure up due to the band? Do you still charge full price???? It really wouldnt bother me a bit if they left my name off the CD....im sure you guys know what I mean...so what do you do?

Listening to Lucky.

Sounds very agressive and cool mate.

The vox really come out of the speakers :cool:

nice and clean recording, great mix, no nits here.

The vox are freakin awsome man, Nice grim vox.

the recording doesn't really seem to have any ambience to it. everything is there and clear but its all just very dry. the guitars are really fuzzy so i wasn't too surprised its an amp sim... probably adds to the lack of "space" in the song.

sounds good other than that. i'd rather hear nonstop screaming than having them throw melodic garbage randomly into the songs like so many do nowadays..

this band is more like hardcore that wishes it could be metal.

good job recording, but feels too "live" for my taste.

Back