live recordings

A7X

Ok so i'm going to be putting off a show for my school for a fund raiser, it's going to be an all unplugged show. acoustic, bongos, ect. My plan is to record all the acts, but I'm not sure of how to make this work good.

My gear:
Presounes Firepod 8 track
Mac
8 track Mixer
8 shure sm58 wireless mics(the schools)
1 Shure sm57
AT 3035
All the cables, and spearkers included.

Now the way I look at it is, use the sm 58 mics for the acoustics, bongos, back up vocals, and use the AT 3035 for lead vocals. Now this is where i'm stuck. Is there a way to run the Mixer into my Firepod and then have each mic on a different track? That way I have a track for each mic.

And If anyone has any tips for live preformances, i'm going to google it now and research it. The gig is after Christmas, but I wanted to get a head start on it.

Thanks

Ken

What type of mixer is it?

On my mixer I just jump each channel out of the mixer, out of the insert if I'm not using it, or the direct out if I am.

Whatever you put into the mixer will have to come out of the outputs of the mixer unless you use direct outs. By this I mean if the mixer has only two outputs and you put five microphones into it, you're not going to get 5 separate tracks - just the left and right from the mixer.

In my opinion you'd do better planning to rent a matched pair of condenser mics and record them in an x-y stereo configuration. There's plenty of info here and on other web sites about how to do it. In my experience multi tracking rarely works smoothly when there are many different instruments and performers involved.

Ok I just found out that my school has a pair of Rode (NS1)? Condensor mics. I researched XY axis, I beleive i got an understainding. Its when you cross the condensors so it pick up everything on the stage, so should I just run the twon condensors into my firepod?

Yes.

If the school has a larger stage try to set the mics up so that they're onstage or just off, meaning picking up the instruments directly and not the sound of the PA or whatever amplification system is being used.

You can always collapse the panning --- bring both the left and right sides in toward the center --- to suit the largeness or smallness of the ensemble, band duo or single performer.

Get one of the performers to do a test run if possible so you can try various mic settings and positionings.

Well, if you're not sure about the mixer outputs, then you might consider just plugging the mics directly into the Firepod. Definately use those Rode mics instead of the wireless jobs. Maybe use that 3035 in the middle of the two Rodes when there is something that needs to be isolated in one of those acts.

Ideally, you should probably put the mic pair closer for smaller, more intimate acts (e.g. acoustic guitar), farther away for louder, rougher acts (e.g. a rock band).

Back