Line In not working

popsickle87

Hi Guys,

New guy here. I have a seemingly simple problem but I've spent hours trying to fix it to no avail.
It all used to work, then I went to a business trip for three weeks and when I came back, suddenly it doesn't work anymore.
I'll describe the problem above. (see screenshots also)

I want to record my guitar. I am plugging it into my sound card (with a converter from guitar plug to 3.5 mm jack) and then hearing it from my speakers.
If I do this normally, there would be a huge delay. To fix this, I would go to Recording Devices>>Line In properties>>Listen>>and uncheck "listen to this device" checkbox. Then I have my realtek sound manager, and I just make sure all volume is up and it worked without delay.

erter.PNGCapture.PNG

Now that I came back from the business trip, it's not working anymore. There was no change in my system at all, and now there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I don't know what changed and I can't find a fix for it.

Please help.

Thank you.

Will have a proper look later (gotta go Xms shopping GRRRR!) but have you tried a System Restore to a date before the trip?

I don't have anyone here to fiddle but IF I did I would keep a point 'in the can'!

Dave.

Will have a proper look later (gotta go Xms shopping GRRRR!) but have you tried a System Restore to a date before the trip?

I don't have anyone here to fiddle but IF I did I would keep a point 'in the can'!

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I didn't even think about system restore because there were no updates to the system at all. I didn't even turn on my computer in that time so it can't be anything system related imo.

EDIT: Ok I tried it again this morning. NOTHING changed literally from hours of restarting and trying everything yesterday and NOW it works. I have no idea what caused it to stop or start again.

Please keep this thread open, I'd like to hear if anyone has the same problems. I'm sure this will happen again..

Ok, not gone yet! You WILL be told, "Get rid of Realtech and get a proper AI with ASIO drivers". And I cannot but echo that advice. Thing is you see, 'ASIO' keeps Ms away from all your audio settings and delivers the lowest latency.

Dave.

Yep, what Dave said ^^^. Get a proper audio interface. I'm surprised your line-in has enough preamp juice for a guitar.

Yep, what Dave said ^^^. Get a proper audio interface. I'm surprised your line-in has enough preamp juice for a guitar.

Oh! There will be enough gain Mike, and noise and latency and distortion of a not nice kind and a screwed frequency response!

Dave.

Just thought. In all our grand plans for the OP we forgot to ask what the recording software is? Many a noob (wtgr!) starts with Audacity and that is, er, ok but limited and cannot run ASIO drivers.

Dave.

I plan to use fruity loops but I need to bring my Zoom G2 first from another country.
What I used to do was to plug my guitar into G2, then from there go to my PC and out of my speakers. That used to work ok for recordings.
I don't know anything on professional level, just a hobby.

Before your system magically corrected itself I was going to ask if you're using Windows 10, because.. Windows recently put out their December Creators Update which may have disabled one or more drivers. I lost a printer driver, but my interface came through alright. Still, this wouldn't explain why it suddenly began working again - a reboot wouldn't normally reinstall or repair a driver.

Who knows..

Back