Lights Out! (Angry Samoans cover- for to test my recorded drum sound)

NotThatBright

Hello, friends.

I put my drum kit together from scratch last night and played a quick song to see how it sounded when recorded. I picked an Angry Samoans song because many of their songs are less than a minute, and this particular one has a lot of 18" floor tom in it (at least the way I played it). Any comments on the sound of the tuning of the drums (particularly the 18" tom, snare and kick) would be swell. I used an OTFR overhead setup, and I'm not good at being able to tell if the snare and kick are in the middle, so if anyone is good at being able to tell that sort of thing, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how far off I am.

I did some minor EQing with the drums in my Tascam DP-24, but that's it.

The song is good (the original), and it's short. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/lights-out/s-CA4EG

Plenty of welly in the bottom end this time, mate! :D The drums sound pretty good, although the 18" could probably benefit from a moongel or something. The decay is a bit long/boomy. It seems to be centred ok, too. Guitars sound good. :thumbs up:

Thanks, Bubba. I knew I had gotten the 18" pretty close to where I had it before after getting coaching from here a few months ago. I decided to go with ORTF over Recorderman after listening to stuff I'd recorded with both methods... There just sounds like there was a lot more "room" in the ORTF stuff. I have the OHs above the kit and slightly behind me and to the left... the crux of the two crossing mics is an angle that lines up the snare and kick, so I'm glad that apparently has kept them in the middle.

There just sounds like there was a lot more "room" in the ORTF stuff.

There's only two reasons to have more "room" in a recording, and that's if you have a fucking awesome room or you're going for a special effect. Like that stairwell on "When the Levee Breaks". Otherwise, kill the shitty room and use one of the wonderful 'verbs that are available these days. :D

Back