Lick me...

My point is I'm just failing to see how likes or liking does anything for an individual not promoting or selling anything..

...and there it is. The underlying logic that the rest of the world fails to see.

I have a Facebook account. To be truthful I only set it up because it was advised at uni as a networking tool.
I use it as such for charity events and events relating to a friend's music, and I have to admit it's been an incredible asset, but other than that it's just a bunch of people convincing themselves that the rest of the world gives a shit what they're doing.

It's one big popularity contest from what I can see.

...and there it is. The underlying logic that the rest of the world fails to see.

I have a Facebook account. To be truthful I only set it up because it was advised at uni as a networking tool.
I use it as such for charity events and events relating to a friend's music, and I have to admit it's been an incredible asset, but other than that it's just a bunch of people convincing themselves that the rest of the world gives a shit what they're doing.

It's one big popularity contest from what I can see.

Paul is more popular than me. :(

Your family dates each other? :eek: :laughings:

So you have a list of "friends" and they see everything you do and vice versa? So if you "like" something, they know you "liked" something and they can check it out for themselves? And you see everything they "like"?

Yes. It's for people who like networking and voyeuring.

My point is I'm just failing to see how likes or liking does anything for an individual not promoting or selling anything..

If you get a lot of FB 'likes', it's puported to be buzz, it's a supposed measure of popular interest in your FB presence. I think it's pretty ephemeral, but people play the game either because they believe it (which I think is like believing in the tooth fairy) or because they know that others believe it and who the fuck knows maybe it will make a difference and more people will actually buy my CD.

I get all that. This site is a mining operation for advertisers. I'm well aware. I'm also blocking ads. My point is I'm just failing to see how likes or liking does anything for an individual not promoting or selling anything..

The thing is, you (and I don't mean you specifically) are promoting and selling yourself as an individual! Facebook likes can perhaps be considered a measurement of social (or even cultural) capital for many people these days.

The thing is, you (and I don't mean you specifically) are promoting and selling yourself as an individual! Facebook likes can perhaps be considered a measurement of social (or even cultural) capital for many people these days.

Those people need to be killed to death.

our studios in Camden Lock in London used to be next door to a comedy club called Jongleurs. It was a good comedy club
The company I work for took us there many years ago. I thought it was lame. People kept freaking out because I drank orange juice mixed with beer.
But I did see Ed Byrne there before anyone knew him.
Except his Mum, obviously.

What does "liking" something on facebook actually achieve for the liker or likee?

Not a lot, especially seeing we don't actually post much.... I just want to get to 100 to see what happens, as facebook has implied some new functionality opens up. :D

Consider yourself licked. You taste horrible BTW.

(Totally OT, but our studios in Camden Lock in London used to be next door to a comedy club called Jongleurs. It was a good comedy club but I always resented them for taking over and closing down my favourite lunch time pizza place which used to have the same building.)

Edited to add: Here you go. Your namesake is the building in the foreground, the pizza place they closed is the part with the umbrellas on the roof and that red brick place in the background was us.

View attachment 84830

Thanks Bobbsy... yeah the other guy is a Pom so he came up with the name from the clubs, I think. We differ on pronunciation... I tend to the French with a soft J and leuuuuuuurrrrs at the end, while he just calls us The Jonglers... We don't actually really exist any more anyway, so it's all moot. Always wanted to have a posthumous album, so to speak... :eek:

And club owners fall for this? I'm not even on facebook and I know that facebook "friends" are not actual fans that will travel and pay to see a band play.

Yep, and they look at how many 'fans' you have on reverbnation, how many 'views' you've got on youtube, etc.

Not a lot, especially seeing we don't actually post much.... I just want to get to 100 to see what happens, as facebook has implied some new functionality opens up. :D
Not sure what it does, probably another way they can push you to pay for services. I'm over 100 'likes' on my musician page and didn't really notice anything.

Back