Lets hear and see your drums!

PhilGood said:
Drums are Tama. Cymbals are combos of Paiste Sigs, 505, Dimensions, 2000, Alpha, 802, Sabian, Zildjian, Ufip and Wuhans. I don't have complete sets of just one brand. I prefer to have a specific sound instead of a specific brand on the kit. I have enough cymbals for 3 sets of drums. Heads are all Remo.

How are the UFIPS? I've heard great things, but never had the chance to try them, and plus they are way too expensive...

tilinmyowngrave said:
How are the UFIPS? I've heard great things, but never had the chance to try them, and plus they are way too expensive...

To tell you the truth, I think Ufip's are the best cymbals made - period!

The one major drawback is that they are so expensive, no average drummer could ever afford to play them so they will never be one of the major players in the cymbal market.

Sound Quality - Give Me Some Advise

I am VERY new at recording and I am having issues getting a good bass drum sound. I get more of a "woof" then a punchy sound. I have tried to EQ it out, tried to put a blanket over the bass from front, compressor, ect. and still no real luck. The bass drum sounds better at 250hz then my previous EQing. I run all good matching mics into a mackie mixer then to my digital interface with the bass drum on a seperate channel into the interface for tweaking. I have the toms, snare, cymbols sounding pretty decent. Check out this little sound demo I made earlier tonight. It is by no means my drumming demo or anything like that, this was strictly for test purpose. The reverb was an added VTS effect, it's not room reverb noise. TELL ME WHAT YOU ALL THINK OF THE RECORING QUANLITY AND TWEAK IT FOR ME :) :) :)

Pacific CX Maple with redone edges (by me)
Edirol 2496 8 input interface
cuBASE SX 3.0
2.0ghz P4, 1gig ram, dual 19" flat panels.

AllenMance said:
I am VERY new at recording and I am having issues getting a good bass drum sound. I get more of a "woof" then a punchy sound. I have tried to EQ it out, tried to put a blanket over the bass from front, compressor, ect. and still no real luck. The bass drum sounds better at 250hz then my previous EQing. I run all good matching mics into a mackie mixer then to my digital interface with the bass drum on a seperate channel into the interface for tweaking. I have the toms, snare, cymbols sounding pretty decent. Check out this little sound demo I made earlier tonight. It is by no means my drumming demo or anything like that, this was strictly for test purpose. The reverb was an added VTS effect, it's not room reverb noise. TELL ME WHAT YOU ALL THINK OF THE RECORING QUANLITY AND TWEAK IT FOR ME :) :) :)

Pacific CX Maple with redone edges (by me)
Edirol 2496 8 input interface
cuBASE SX 3.0
2.0ghz P4, 1gig ram, dual 19" flat panels.

not to be mean, but that mix is TERRIBLE! I cant hear any overhead at all. Its too compressed, and seperated

All I hear is the kick and some of the low toms. There is no snare. No overheads at all. Do you have some mics muted? It sounds like the whole mix is from the bass drum mic.

I feel stupid posting my kit when all of your kits are all so nice, but ill do it anyways! :)

http://www.coneyislandpilot.com/miscstorage/328429960_l.jpg

This kit is mainly a practice set, but we use it for recording every once in a while. Its a 198? something Tama granstar. Remo/evans/aquarian heads. Zyldjian cymbals.

And here's the mp3 from that session:

The drummer I was recording wasnt very good. I wish I would have had my snare for this recording, but it was at my drummers house.

012s for overheads, e604 on rack, 421 on floor, d112 on kick, 57 on snare.

Well here you can here a clip recorded by me. Please tell me what you think about it.

I use 4 mic setup (2 mxl 603 as oh, pro 25 for bd and SM57 ).

Thanks
TS

Attachments

• Tama2.jpg
    Tama2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 255
TamaSabian said:
Well here you can here a clip recorded by me. Please tell me what you think about it.

I use 4 mic setup (2 mxl 603 as oh, pro 25 for bd and SM57 ).

Thanks
TS

Nice shuffle, dude.

Aint got any sound clips, but here some pics. Really need to get new skins, but don't have the money, so taping them up will do, lol :D First time I've been able to set up my kit in about 9 months :eek:

Attachments

• kit above.JPG
    kit above.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 160
  • kit front.JPG
    kit front.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 69
  • kit side.JPG
    kit side.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
This is my GMS...didn't notice many GMS users in this forum...

i like experimenting with different percussion instruments and getting more out of myself in my band than just the guy behind the drums (not that i have anything against that)...

Attachments

• copyU60 2006 037.jpg
    copyU60 2006 037.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 233
hey, i'm not a drummer at all, but i do play some...

this is my ok set with the mics (that's a member of my band in the pic), and i also put up a short clip of one of our songs with just acoustic and drums....
like i said i'm not a drummer (we don't have a permanent one right now only a stand ins for shows so I am the one playing in the recording) so I would not mind any suggestions on the playing or the sound. i use for mics

-old shure that looks like a 58 on the snare (it's pretty bright)
-2 MXL 991's overhead in xy
-MXL 990 in the kick (i know it's not the best for the mic but it's cheap and i think it sounds decent)

http://people.clemson.edu/~astoebe/drums.html

Schloo said:

A. For such a pro looking studio I would expect the drums to sound better than they do.

B. Two overheads is all you should ever need, especially for a small kit like that. This would probably explain some phase cancellation and why the drums sound a bit thin. Same with the kick. Why a 421 and a D112, especially when you only have the batter head on?

No offense meant, but it really seems like overkill.

No offense taken, I didn't engineer this project.
And, to tell the truth, I don't know why he added all the mics.
I did 15 tracks that day, so I was focusing on other matters! :)

That photo actually matches this recording.
http://myspace.com/southdakota

The first mp3 (heavier stuff) link was D112 and sm57s, with 2 overheads and hh mic.

Back