Laptop won't take midi input

AvB

I have a Windows 11 Acer Aspire laptop with Ryzen 4000 series CPU. It won't take midi input from my electric drums. The drum kit shows in device manager. The same problem is in my Windows 10 laptop. The kit works on the shop's PC. They are baffled, as are Yamaha. Is there a fix for this?

Assume that the drum kit MIDI output is via USB (make sure it is MIDI and not audio!) What are you feeding the MIDI signal to on your laptop - usually the input device must be selected in that software.

Your laptop has a MIDI input? I think you mean USB input from your drums. In device manager, what does the drum kit show up as. The usual problem is misidentification of the driver as something else, not musical. I assume it's the latest driver you are using?

Your laptop has a MIDI input? I think you mean USB input from your drums. In device manager, what does the drum kit show up as. The usual problem is misidentification of the driver as something else, not musical. I assume it's the latest driver you are using?
Device manager shows the kit as DTX Drums. I installed the latest driver, as told to me by Yamaha.
Assume that the drum kit MIDI output is via USB (make sure it is MIDI and not audio!) What are you feeding the MIDI signal to on your laptop - usually the input device must be selected in that software.
Kit plugged into a USB port. I added the kit to the DAW as an external device but it shows as not connected, even when it's plugged in and switched on. I have it set as Receive from DTX Drums and Send to DTX Drums. It's not listed in the midi track of any files.

What DAW are you using. Has it ever been possible to record from your drums to a previous computer or application?

Just a thought - could it be a 32 vs 64 bit issue? What does your DAW require? Cubase, for example will NOT load or run any 32bit drivers or external devices. Could you have installed the wrong one by accident for your DAW?

What DAW are you using. Has it ever been possible to record from your drums to a previous computer or application?

Just a thought - could it be a 32 vs 64 bit issue? What does your DAW require? Cubase, for example will NOT load or run any 32bit drivers or external devices. Could you have installed the wrong one by accident for your DAW?
Presonus Studio One. The driver is 64bit for Windows 11. Studio One won't pick up the keyboard we tried in the shop, either. My Windows 10 laptop won't do it. This is the first time I've tried recording midi on them. I can import and program midi on both. It's only recording from an external that won't work.

Do you have any other DAW? I wonder why a particular brand doesn’t do it? Trouble is it could be just unlucky combinations or a real bug. I have a Thomann Swissonic master keyboard that was unreliable on my main system, come back to it after ten minutes and Cubase had lost it, but Cubase in my other studio hasn’t done this with the same keyboard?

Do you have any other DAW? I wonder why a particular brand doesn’t do it? Trouble is it could be just unlucky combinations or a real bug. I have a Thomann Swissonic master keyboard that was unreliable on my main system, come back to it after ten minutes and Cubase had lost it, but Cubase in my other studio hasn’t done this with the same keyboard?

Do you have an interface with real 5-pin din sockets? This would give you an alternative route to USB.
Which midi channel do your drums transmit on? Is there a mismatch somewhere?
How can it recognise the drums, then say they are not connected?

I tried to install the driver, but it's one of those that needs the device to be connected to do the install? So I can't help there.

Cakewalk won't record MIDI for me. I can at least record the drum kit with USB audio in Cakewalk. That's more than Presonus will do.

Do you have an interface with real 5-pin din sockets? This would give you an alternative route to USB.
Which midi channel do your drums transmit on? Is there a mismatch somewhere?
How can it recognise the drums, then say they are not connected?
My Presonus interface has din, but the drums don't. The shop couldn't get Presonus to record of a din keyboard.

I set Receive From in external devices to DTX Drums. Nothing. Walked the dog. Midi is now working. Thank you everyone for trying.

So what did you do? I'm more confused now. Cakewalk won't record MIDI??? How are you getting USB MIDI from the Yamaha? Presumably the driver is showing up as some kind of audio device? This doesn't seem right. Are you sure the Presonus has the right drivers now? You're still stuck, yet you don't explain things with any clarity so we can have more thinks. I don;t use Cakewalk so I can't comment even if I saw some screenshots, but others probably can.

So what did you do? I'm more confused now. Cakewalk won't record MIDI??? How are you getting USB MIDI from the Yamaha? Presumably the driver is showing up as some kind of audio device? This doesn't seem right. Are you sure the Presonus has the right drivers now? You're still stuck, yet you don't explain things with any clarity so we can have more thinks. I don;t use Cakewalk so I can't comment even if I saw some screenshots, but others probably can.
Read my last one. Midi is now working in Presonus. Sorry I muddled you.

AFAICT the Yamaha trigger module has DIN MIDI in and out. I would therefore be tempted to borrow a proper* Audio Interface with DIN ports and try that. There are many DAWs you can download as 30day trials.

A cheap but very serviceable interface is the Behringer UMC204HD but if you can find a S/H Native Instruments KA6, even lower latency.

*I have been banging on for years about the loss of MIDI ports on AIs! This post I think vindicates me a bit? 'USB MIDI' adds another layer of 'decoding' and it seems it is not foolproof. DIN MIDI ports pretty well are!

Dave.

AFAICT the Yamaha trigger module has DIN MIDI in and out. I would therefore be tempted to borrow a proper* Audio Interface with DIN ports and try that. There are many DAWs you can download as 30day trials.

A cheap but very serviceable interface is the Behringer UMC204HD but if you can find a S/H Native Instruments KA6, even lower latency.

*I have been banging on for years about the loss of MIDI ports on AIs! This post I think vindicates me a bit? 'USB MIDI' adds another layer of 'decoding' and it seems it is not foolproof. DIN MIDI ports pretty well are!

Dave.
My module doesn't have DIN, and as I've said twice, I can now record MIDI. All I had to do was set 'Receive From' for the kit to work on my laptop. My interface does have DIN I/O.

My module doesn't have DIN, and as I've said twice, I can now record MIDI. All I had to do was set 'Receive From' for the kit to work on my laptop. My interface does have DIN I/O.
OK did not know that. The Yammy units I found had MIDI ports. Did not have enough information.

Dave.

Back