KONTAKT: Physical Memory Low!!

Disease8

Hi I have used Kontakt for years and never had this problem. I have 4 Gig of ram and not many tracks loaded in Kontakt so it does not make sense that I get this warning. Anyone ever experienced this?

I hope you might have a clue I have tried running the project from my computers internal hard drive as I am running it from an external 1TB drive. It still has the same warning every time I load a new instrument or start up the project. So its not to do with it playing from the external.

Really baffled..
D

What version of Windows are you running?

If it's XP, the system can only see 3GB of total RAM of which only 2GB can be allocated to any given program's ram requirements. The rest is allocated to the operating system. This is slowly becoming menial. There can be any number of reasons why your computer is struggling with physical memory (RAM), even though your Cubase project is relatively low on CPU load. They key is to keep your computer clean from viruses and optimized for audio. In the Task Manager you want your system process count to reflect anywhere from 25 to 30 processes at any given time.

There is a mod for the boot.ini file called the /3GB Switch and it allows you to allocate one more gig to program resources. You can find the mod instructions here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810(EXCHG.65).aspx

WARNING. I do not recommend you attempt this mod unless you have done a full system backup or have saved an image of your system drive with a program such as Norton Ghost. Please be careful and take every precaution you can to backup your data.

Cheers :)

What version of Windows are you running?

If it's XP, the system can only see 3GB of total RAM of which only 2GB can be allocated to any given program's ram requirements. The rest is allocated to the operating system. This is slowly becoming menial. There can be any number of reasons why your computer is struggling with physical memory (RAM), even though your Cubase project is relatively low on CPU load. They key is to keep your computer clean from viruses and optimized for audio. In the Task Manager you want your system process count to reflect anywhere from 25 to 30 processes at any given time.

There is a mod for the boot.ini file called the /3GB Switch and it allows you to allocate one more gig to program resources. You can find the mod instructions here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810(EXCHG.65).aspx

WARNING. I do not recommend you attempt this mod unless you have done a full system backup or have saved an image of your system drive with a program such as Norton Ghost. Please be careful and take every precaution you can to backup your data.

Cheers :)

Hi! Sorry for the long reply I am still having this problem. I have got loads of memory free I can see it in the task manager.
It is Windows 7 32bit..
If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Hi I have used Kontakt for years and never had this problem. I have 4 Gig of ram and not many tracks loaded in Kontakt so it does not make sense that I get this warning. Anyone ever experienced this?

I hope you might have a clue I have tried running the project from my computers internal hard drive as I am running it from an external 1TB drive. It still has the same warning every time I load a new instrument or start up the project. So its not to do with it playing from the external.

Really baffled..
D

Physical Memory will not have anything to do with your hard drive. If you have ram free it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe you have VST's or Samples eating up memory? do you have all your background programs off like anti-virus?

did you google the error message? Kontakt RTAS PC Digi002 Physical Memory Low ,-9128 - Avid Audio Forums

Yeah its not an easy issue like that unfortunately. I have 4 gig of ram and its not even near half way.
The issue with the HD was more the fact that I was running the project file from an extrernal HD, not done it before and thought it might have something to do with it. But as I said I moved the project to my internal HD and no difference.
Its strange the only thing that has changed is my operating system, I am on windows 7 now. Every thing else is exactly the same I am using the same plugings and version of cubase I have used for years with no problems.. Just kontakt always moans about being low on physical memory when I load more instruments/samples...

Thanks fro the reply. Someone must have had this issue before?

Cheers Dom.

Hi. Have you solved this problem? If not try this..
You have enough memory on your computer (4gigs) and you are running Windows 7 right?

The reason you get that message is probably because Kontakt has a Max value for the memory it is allowed to use. I run Kontakt 1 (still!) and have had the same problem.
Open the windows register editor (regedit) and locate the Kontakt folder under Native Instruments. The decimal value in the key "MaxUsage" is probably 104857656. I think that means 1 gig, not sure. Anyway, my problems with the annoying message disappered when I changed the value to 419430624 (4 times 104857656).
If you want, you can try a lower value and raise it until the message disappears.

You have enough memory on your computer (4gigs) and you are running Windows 7 right?

The reason you get that message is probably because Kontakt has a Max value for the memory it is allowed to use. I run Kontakt 1 (still!) and have had the same problem.
Open the windows register editor (regedit) and locate the Kontakt folder under Native Instruments. The decimal value in the key "MaxUsage" is probably 104857656. I think that means 1 gig, not sure. Anyway, my problems with the annoying message disappered when I changed the value to 419430624 (4 times 104857656).
If you want, you can try a lower value and raise it until the message disappears.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! Thats awesome I recently re-installed everything so when I get kontakt installed again i will look into the registery tweek you mention! :-) PS Yeah Kontakt 1 is the best anyway !!

Hi jhelander....I m having the same issue in very similar configuration pc like yours...how can I find the "maXusage" icon inside Regedit? I looked everywhere inside but couldn t find it for Kontakt. Can you give the steps ?

Hi jhelander ,
I am not able to find the MaxUsage under kontakt 5 folder . Can someone please help me on this ?

Thanks

Back