keep the midi? or chuck it?

keep the midi after recording or chuck it?

• keep the midi in the original CWP file

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • chuck the midi once you've recorded the WAVs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • save the midi tracks in a separate file and then record the WAVs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

crosstudio

I've been keeping my midi in the same file and removing it from view via track manager. however, doing so, affects my digital mixer because it still "sees" the tracks.

i've been thinking about keeping the original midi in a separate file.

The mixer "sees" the tracks? Why is that a problem?

You can always archive the MIDI tracks if their being active is a problem for some reason.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are these midi tracks that you have converted to audio within the Sonar project? If so, follow AlChuck's advice and simply archive them. You can both archive them and hide the tracks if you want.

To me, it would be a PITA to have them in a separate file. (I'm assuming you want to keep them in case you find you need to make some tweak to them down the road. If so, you would want them to remain handy - which they wouldn't really be in a separate file IMO.)

Chuck the midi and you'll guarantee that you'll need it again...

(Unless you like re-creating stuff over and over again; personally I don't like to waste my time re-inventing the wheel.)

Another potential use for the MIDI is if you ever want to generate notation for the song...

the problem is that the tascam fw-1884 will assign a channel to the midi track even if its archived.

once i've converted the midi track to audio, i archive and hide the midi tracks, but the digital mixer still allocates a channel to them.

i've decided to put all of the midi tracks into a track folder and display that folder in the track view, so i'll know to insert new audio tracks ahead of that track folder.

I always make 3 version...

1st is the MIDI only project (which I sequence with the ol' cakewalk pro 3 :D )
2nd is cwp which I assign DXi and stuff...
3rd is cwb which is audio converted version of the MIDI tracks.

I don't delete the MIDI tracks, just archieve 'em.

Always end up with 3 file per project/song.

BTW, I'm back guys!!!! :D

;)
Jaymz

crosstudio said:
the problem is that the tascam fw-1884 will assign a channel to the midi track even if its archived.

once i've converted the midi track to audio, i archive and hide the midi tracks, but the digital mixer still allocates a channel to them.

i've decided to put all of the midi tracks into a track folder and display that folder in the track view, so i'll know to insert new audio tracks ahead of that track folder.

Drag all you MIDI tracks to the bottom of the project. Now when you cycle banks on the fw-1884 the last bank will be all the MIDI tracks and you won't have to jump back and forth between track banks.

Back